• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 innopac

innopac

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:27 PM

New York Times article: "Concerns Beyond Just Where the Wild Things Are", by Patricia Cohen, September 9, 2008.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:06 PM

Thank you for this, innopac. Sendak is quite a character. It's easy to see where 'Where the Wild Things Are' came from.

Here's a quote from the article:

Never mind that Mr. Sendak’s originality and emotional honesty have changed the shape of children’s literature; that his work is featured in museums; that he has designed costumes and sets for operas, ballets and theater; that he has won a chest full of awards and prizes including a National Medal of the Arts. As the playwright Tony Kushner, one of his collaborators, said, “He’s one of the most important, if not the most important, writers and artists ever to work in children’s literature. In fact, he’s a significant writer and artist in literature. Period.”

Mr. Sendak protested, “But Tony is my friend.”

#3 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:28 PM

It's a nice article. Thanks, innopac. Today, Terry Gross played sectdions of 2 old interviews with Sendak on her "Fresh Air" show on National Public Radio. I missed a few bits but had the sense that this is someone I would like to know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):