This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Giselle act 1 variationWhose music? Whose choreographer?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mireille

Mireille

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:17 AM

I recently watched an excerpt of Giselle featuring Lorena Feijoo in Giselle showing a solo variation in act one that I have not seen or heard before. The music is mainly played by a flute and the variation starts with entrechat quatre - balloté par- terre - jeté and ends with the typical manège of tours piqués... Is this on music by Adam? Who choreographed this variation? Is it included in the pas des paysans?

#2 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:50 AM

That sounds roughly like the variation from the 1884 pas de deux added by Petipa for Maria Gorshenkova. The music is by Minkus, possibly souped up a little by Drigo. Whose choreography it is is a debatable point. I don't think that it's part of the notated score.

#3 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,397 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:42 AM

Isn't that variation part of that added Minkus PDD that is in the Nureyev/Seymour production...? ( I think i started a thread on the subject a while ago)

#4 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,397 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:49 AM

I found the link of that older thread...Here it is:
http://ballettalk.in...p...aded&start=

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):