27 replies to this topic

#16 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 11:33 AM

To compare Osipova to Somova is to compare a Porsche to a Yugo. Natalia Osipova is a whole world above Mme Somova. :unsure:

#17 coda

coda

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:42 PM

I love Osipova - interesting that they imported her...

I am not sure it is right to say that they IMPORTED Osipova. This was a usual guest star appearance in the Mariinsky’s annual festival. A young starlet in this case. Similar to the appearance of Cojocaru/Kobborg in “R & J” and Ganio in “Giselle”. Tsiskaridze has been appearing at their festivals every year for the last, I think, six years.

Apart from Novikova the Mariinsky has other Kitris – Osmolkina, Golub, Tereshkina, Sheshina and Vishneva. In my humble opinion none of them, even Vishneva, can at the moment match Osipova’s zest, technical skills and amazing self-abandonment in this role.

By the way, on the 4th of July Somova will be dancing Don Q. with Lobukhin. I hope Sarafanov is OK.

Edited by carbro, 02 July 2007 - 03:19 PM.
to add a [/quote] to make a box. :-)

#18 ami1436

ami1436

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:51 PM

Coda, apologies for not being clearer, as I did understand initially that she was there as a guest.... I shouldn't have insinuated that it might have been more long term! Thank you for your comments on the Mariinsky's 'own' Kitris!

#19 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:07 AM

The last two Kitris I saw were Novikova and Nioradze with the latter being the better simply through being the more experienced. I think from the list Coda has supplied I would most like to see Tereshkina in the role

#20 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:54 AM

Among the Kirov's active Kitris, Vishneva remains unparalleled in the role, IMO. During the mid-90s it was very much her signature role -- until she debuted in Rubies, which became her new trademark. Vishneva literally jete'd into stardom when she first performed Kitri at the Mariinsky, while still a 16-yr-old student. She did not graduate from the Vaganova Academy until a year-and-one-half following that first Kitri.

Among the now-retired Kitris, Irina Tchistiakova was quite remarkable. She was Ruzimatov's main Kitri until Vishneva took over.

The future? I am anxiously awaiting Yevgenia Obraztsova's debut in the role. Imagine with her bubbliness and panache, coupled with amazing technique. Obraztsova & Sarafanov together in Don Q -- that is my dream pairing.

#21 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:20 AM

By the way, on the 4th of July Somova will be dancing Don Q. with Lobukhin. I hope Sarafanov is OK.

The Vazievs are giving Kitri to her again?! Tomorrow?! That's less
than a week later! Poor Mikhail. As for Leonid, I doubt it. How can anyone
be "OK" after dodging nails like these and a runaway fan? Pink nail polish
is one thing, but one inch nails? That's a non-starter.

http://danse-photos....i...sc&start=20

IMO both Novikova and Tkachenko are the best Kitris the Maryinsky can field at this moment.
The logical choice for Kitri last week was Tereshkina; she deserves a long overdue shot at this role.
But lately, the managers aren't into common sense. Of the previous Maryinksky generation,
Tatiana Terekhova was untouchable as Kitri.

#22 coda

coda

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:31 AM

You see, Mashinka, I knowingly omitted the names of Nioradze, Makhalina and Aupova because they seem not dancing Kitri any more.

#23 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:48 AM

Tereshkina *did* dance Kitri at the Mariinsky a year ago, around June or July 2006. I don't know why she has not danced it since then.

#24 alexaa1a

alexaa1a

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:40 AM

Can you Elborate? Is she large?

:crying: She is at least a foot taller than he. Her arms and legs are both
extremely long. Physically, she's not in proportion to his physique, so this is not only
a mismatch, but yet another miscast. She has long acrylic fingernails
that are hazardous, and that's dangerous for Leonid (and other partners), because they
have to worry about being slashed by them. Add to all of that the fact that she is a
gymnast, devoid of port de bras, epaulement, turnout, competent technique - (never mind
professional), and a footlight flirt, and you have what may shape up to be one of the
most, uh, entertaining Kitri debuts in the Maryinsky Theatre's history.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Albert Einstein

Look at this photo

http://www.sfgate.co...c...HEUL.DTL&o=

Based on this recent photo, Somova is much smaller than Sarafanov and is shorter on pointe than Sarafanov.

#25 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:47 AM

Thanks for the link, alexaa1a, and welcome to BalletTalk!

The photo also suggests that since the Kirov's City Center season last spring, Somova has shed a few pounds. It even shows in her face.

#26 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:53 AM

Thanks for the link, alexaa1a, and welcome to BalletTalk!

The photo also suggests that since the Kirov's City Center season last spring, Somova has shed a few pounds. It even shows in her face.

It's Sarafanov who has bulked up and doesn't give the impression of being the elf of years past. Somova looks about the same. She has always had the long bony jaw.

#27 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:21 AM

I've met Sarafanov and he is rather tall, certainly above six foot, I imagine it was his very youthful looks that made people imagine him to be a little chap. I think he's grown a bit over the years too.

#28 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:36 AM

I've met Sarafanov and he is rather tall, certainly above six foot, I imagine it was his very youthful looks that made people imagine him to be a little chap. I think he's grown a bit over the years too.

I agree Mashinka: Per "alexaa1a,s" link, he has indeed picked up height. Alina has always been long and
lanky. She's an amazon. When I first saw Sarafanov & Somova together in the Le Corsaire pdd in '04,
(one of her first assignments in the corps), she was taller. Corsaire was the first pdd they were assigned
together, then came Don Q pdd, then she was given the first variation in "Paquita," then Odette/Odile.
Another PD, Irma Nioradze was paired with Sarafanov in the full length "Bayadere" in '04. Based on the pic,
he's past her now, because Alina is definitely taller than Irma. When Somova's Kitri debuted last year, my
Petersburg friend confirmed the difficulties Leonid had with the overhead lifts in Don Q Act 1 and other sections
of the ballet. Kitri is a soubrette/virtuosa/comedienne/allegro role. Somova may be a borderline soubrette, (?)
but because of her height and long limbs, "virtuosa" and speed do not come easy for her. Conversely, because
of her long limbs she should be good in adagio. Although her Odette and Nikiya are less coltish, she hasn't
yet delved into nuance, explored dramatic development, nor mastered legato and phrase completion.

When she graduated in '03 she was fuller. Today, she's extremely fragile looking, although I must concede
that her spotting with piourettes and fouttees vis a vis general placement has improved. For example, her
regular fouttees and Italians still bounce but are now sur place. IMO I believe that it's her arms
which are out of proportion to the rest of her body, that and her over-extended knees. Of course,
she can't do anything about that, but great ballerinas find ways and means to conceal physical boondoggles.
However, bent wrists, petrified fingers and long nails which accentuate them do not enhance line. For example,
Mezentseva's arms were also quite long, and she was built almost the same as Somova, albeit her
torso was more compact than Somova's. Of course, (no comparison with Alina), but Galina's
port de bras, epaulement, hands, fingers, placement, technique, artistry, and dramatic skills, in short -
attention to detail, was impeccable. Maybe this is what they see in Somova, and are trying to bring
forth. (?)

I think, if they must cast her in classical roles, obviously she looks best with the tallest men, but with men who
look like grown men (in the face), such as Kozlov, Fadeev, Korsuntsev, Kolb & Ivanchenko. These gentlemen are
danseur nobles. Of these, Somova's been paired frequently with Kolb & Fadeev. Kozlov & Korsuntsev are Lopatkina's
main partners, and Ivanchenko's services are widely used by the female leads in the company. Sarafanov and another frequent partner of Somova's, Anton Korsakov, aren't danseur nobles, but both have been assigned danseur noble roles. Technically Sarafanov and Korsakov can do these roles, but artistically they're unconvincing in them. Of these
two, Sarafanov is the superior technician, MO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):