This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I rewatched Ikiru last night, and although you could say it was a bit corny, overall I thought it was one of the most moving films I've ever seen. It also has one of the most beautiful endings I've ever seen, with Watanabe singing peacefully on the swings.

Don't not watch this film because it's not "typical" Kurosawa -- it's just as compelling and packs a huge punch.

Ugetsu is en route, and I'll post my thoughts about them.

Sansho the Bailiff is one of the most heartbreaking movies I've EVER seen.

Many great things in it, but nothing compares to the moment when the girl hears the new slave sing "Zashu, Zoshyou, isn't life torment?"

Only she knows that her real name is Zashyu, this girl has learned a song that must have been written by her mother, in code.....

It's an effect out of Sir Walter Scott- - maybe already there in Japanese feudal epics, but it's VERY typical of Scotts novels, and it's what made Scott great and universally admired..... translated into japanese, and it's overwhelming, my GOD, it jus breaks your heart -- for the kids realize because of it that their long-lost mother is alive and somewhere they may be able to find her........

highest POSSIBLE recommendation for Sansho the Bailiff.

Paul,

I have seen "sansho.." many years ago but i still remember it.I agree, it is one of most heartbreaking films ever.

I'm not sure if this was directed by Mizogushi but "When a woman goes up the stairs"(?) was avery good Japanese film that i have seen years ago.

Joe

I saw Ugetsu, and I agree it was a very beautiful, mystical film. I had a grandmother who was a devout Buddhist and I saw many Buddhist themes in the film -- rejection of material possessions, the need to suffer in order to achieve peace, spirits being with you even after they are gone. It was a bit like the Odyssey except without the happy reunion, which I find somehow fitting with Eastern philosophy.

But maybe the best part of the dvd is the long documentary about Mizoguchi. It was interesting to find out that this "feminist" director was a great patron of the "pleasure districts." Also interesting to hear about his fanatical perfectionism, a trait he shared with Akira Kurosawa.