This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Winter Season 2006

I've never understood why most concerts/operas/ballets at Lincoln Centre cling to an 8:00 curtain. I suppose in "olden times" one had to have time for a pre-performance dinner in the manner of THE AGE OF INNOCENCE. And then arrive fashionably late. But today, I imagine many people grab a bite after work and are ready to be entertained by 6:30 or 7:00. Starting at 8:00 means many patrons who live outside the city have to leave before the end of longer operas to make train connections.

The earlier curtain time on Tuesdays at NYCB has been beneficial for me because I can usually be home by 11:00 and better able to face the 6:00 AM alarm clock. Now adding a second early night makes it even better.

I'd like to see a general starting time of 7:00 during the week and 7:30 on Fridays and Saturdays.

Oberon, I'm with you on there. I don't know whether it's the way programming has been put together in recent years or what, but many NYCB nights don't get out until almost 11 p.m. In the upcoming season, there is one Friday night program on February 10 that makes me think I'd better pack breakfast. It's Baiser de la Fee, Union Jack and a new Martins ballet (which are always, always long). It's not just "out-of-towners" who can appreciate the earlier curtain, but those of us who are working stiffs don't enjoy waiting 15 minutes for a subway or a bus, which is what happens after 11 p.m.

Starting at 8:00 means many patrons who live outside the city have to leave before the end of longer operas to make train connections.

I'd like to see a general starting time of 7:00 during the week and 7:30 on Fridays and Saturdays.

7:00 is too early for out of towners. I hate getting out late too, but often it's simply

impossible to get from New Jersey into Manhattan by 7:00.

I would guess that they would lose more audience than they would gain.

7:30 is much more manageable and it does have the benefit of making the trip back home easier.

At the Met Opera much of this problem could be solved by compacting the evening; cutting down the endless intermissions. Almost no other performing arts organization operating in New York has 30-35 minute intermissions

Richard