This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Shut Up and Dance benefit

News about this always popular benefit:

SHUT UP & DANCE BENEFIT PERFORMANCE FOR MANNA BY THE PENNSYLVANIA BALLET

One-night-only performance returns to The Forrest Theatre on March 16

Philadelphia, PA - For the thirteenth consecutive year, the dancers of Pennsylvania Ballet join forces for Shut Up & Dance – a one-night-only benefit performance for MANNA. The original works, choreographed and performed by the dancers in their uniquely spirited, funky and enthusiastic style, will return to The Forrest Theatre on Wednesday, March 16 at 7:30 PM. Hosted by 88.5 WXPN Morning Show Personality Michaela Majoun, reserved seating tickets to Shut Up & Dance range from $20-$65, including an After-Party at PURE Nightclub with the dancers. Tickets can be purchased in advance by calling 215-49-MANNA, online at www.mannapa.org, or in person at Foster’s Urban Homeware (124 N. 3rd Street), Giovanni’s Room (345 S. 12th Street), MANNA (12 S. 23rd Street), and select TLA Video locations (15th & Locust, 4th & South, Chestnut Hill and Bryn Mawr).

Created thirteen years ago by dancers of Pennsylvania Ballet, Shut Up & Dance originated out of a desire to pay homage to comrades lost to the AIDS epidemic and support those in the trenches of daily service to the HIV/AIDS community, such as MANNA. After a series of discussions as to who and how and what the fundraiser should entail, legend has it one dancer finally remarked, “Let’s just Shut Up & Dance.”

The performance attracts a loyal following each year and has frequently been a sellout. Shut Up & Dance is especially unique in that it is an opportunity for the dancers to choreograph their own performances. Choreographers responsible for this year’s inspiring production include Christine Cox, Heidi Cruz, David Krensing, Matthew Neenan, Meredith Rainey, and Hawley Rowe. Additionally, James Bunting, Adrianna deSvastich and Jermel Johnson will contribute choreography for the first time.

“I suppose I shouldn’t be by now but I am continually surprised by the generosity and creativity of these dancers,” remarks Producing Director and Principal Dancer David Krensing. “Their willingness to step up – year after year – and put together an event that is all at once creative, diverse, poignant, and best of all funny, is really extraordinary.”

Dancers of Shut Up & Dance 2005 include:

James Ady

Rebecca Azenberg

Thomas Baltrushunas

Elisabeth Bell*

Laura Bowman

Michel Antoine Braun

Phillip Colucci

Christine Cox

Felicia Cruz*

Heidi Cruz

Julie Diana

Megan Dickenson

Zachary Hench

Ian Hussey

James Ihde

Gary Jeter*

Jermel Johnson

Tara Keating

David Krensing

Riolama Lorenzo

Rachel Maher

Matthew Neenan

Michael Patterson

Meredith Rainey

Hawley Rowe

Jonathan Stiles

Emily Waters

Dawn-Marie Watson*

Gabriella Yudenich

To culminate the evening, the dancers will be onsite after their performance at the post Shut Up & Dance bash at PURE Nightclub (1221 St. James Street). Be sure to wear your dancing shoes to share the floor with the cast of Shut Up & Dance. The After-Party is open to guests (21 years of age and older) free of charge with their ticket stub from the event.

“Shut Up & Dance is an awesome event,” states Jo Ann Bradley Jones, executive director of MANNA. “It is powered by two formidable forces that the dancers bring to it, their creative, energetic artistry and their passion unleashed. They give so much of themselves to insure that MANNA fulfills its mission for our clients. Please come, and expect to be blown away!”

Major sponsors that have made this performance of Shut Up & Dance possible include: Absolut Vodka, East Coast Salon Services, M?A?C Viva Glam and The Independence Foundation, along with the generous support and cooperation of Pennsylvania Ballet.

MANNA delivers nourishment to people living with HIV/AIDS in the tri-state region. A small professional staff and 1,000 dedicated volunteers bring over 50,000 nutritious, home-cooked, home-delivered meals each month to individuals and families living with HIV/AIDS. MANNA provides nutritional counseling and emotional nourishment free of charge. If you or someone you know would like to receive MANNA meals, or would like to volunteer, call 215-49-MANNA.

PERFORMANCE DATE: Wednesday, March 16, 2005

PERFORMANCE TIME: 7:30 PM

LOCATION: Forrest Theatre, 1114 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA

TICKET PRICES: VIP Tickets : $175 (includes private 6 PM cocktail reception at Forrest

(All tickets include Theatre, premium seating, and after-party)

after-party at PURE) Orchestra: $65

Mezzanine: $55

Balcony (lower rows): $40; Balcony (upper rows): $20

ACCESSIBILITY: For accessible seating, contact Wendi Lyons 215-496-2662 x. 136

PARKING/TRANSPORTATION:

Central Parking System: 1111 Sansom Street Lot and the 1217 Walnut Street. In addition, many other parking lots are available near the theatre. Theatre is accessible by SEPTA, the PATCO High Speedline and by taxi.

TICKETS AVAILABLE:

By calling 215-49-MANNA, online at www.mannapa.org, and at the following locations:

MANNA (12 S. 23rd Street, Philadelphia)

Foster’s Urban Homeware (124 N. 3rd Street, Philadelphia).

Giovanni’s Room (345 S. 12th Street, Philadelphia)

Select TLA Video locations

Rittenhouse Square: 1520 Locust Street, Philadelphia

South Street – Society Hill: 517 S. 4th Street, Philadelphia

Chestnut Hill: 7630 Germantown Avenue, Philadelphia

Bryn Mawr: 763 Lancaster Avenue, Bryn Mawr, PA

Amy was out of the last series due to a back injury. As far as I have heard, she will hopefully be back to dance in the Concert Series. I agree with you, she was truly missed in La Fille. I am hoping to see her as Juliet in their final production for 05.

I am sorry that I had to miss Shut up and Dance. Can anyone share some of the highlights with us?