• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:49 PM

Along with an updated website (yay!), casting for R&J has been posted. The four Juliets are Sara Webb, Barbara Bears, Leticia Oliveira, and Mireille Hassenboehler, dancing with Simon Ball, Zdenek Konvalina, Ian Casady, and Marcelo Gomes ( :wub: didn't realize he would be guesting again), respectively.

#2 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 08:49 PM

The review of opening night.

And yet while the Houston Ballet corps brings youthful vigor to every market scene how many market scenes with folksy dances can an audience take today? With the kind of magnificent-looking but cumbersome sets few ballet companies can afford anymore, this 1987 production is also full of necessary road-humps: Interlude scenes in which dancers parade through some silly or solemn business downstage while the heavy furniture shifts behind a scrim.

Maybe we need to learn to slow down again, to savor such beauty. But a friend may have summed it up best when we decided Romeo & Juliet was like Godiva candy: A worthwhile indulgence, but it feels a little like eating the whole box at once.

R&J is far from being my favorite ballet, but does anyone else get the impression the reviewer is speaking of multiple-act story ballets in general while implying mime is unnecessary?

#3 leibling

leibling

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 05:26 AM

I feel that the critic here may actually be commenting on Stevenson's particular version. The complaint here- about so much mime and village folkdancing, echoes the review I just read of Ballet Florida's production of Stevenson's Dracula. I haven't seen Stevenson's R&J- so I don't know for sure, but I have seen his Dracula, as performed by Houston Ballet, and I remember that while the production was gorgeous to look at, there was NO dancing. I could see how R&J could lend itself to the same choreographic treatment.

#4 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 01:13 PM

There was a touching article in the Chron today about Webb's real-life love story, which Ari posted in Links. Here's a direct one: http://www.chron.com...e/dance/3088800

It's a small reminder of the hope for a safe return of all loved ones stationed overseas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):