Don Quixote CD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cindy

cindy

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 December 2001 - 08:00 PM

We are planning to perform Don Quixote for our Spring performance. I need to purchase the complete ballet on CD. Please advise where (web site) I can find this! I have had no luck searching with google.com. Any other advice on videos, set design, etc. appreciated. Sincerely, A Nervous Production Manager

#2 bobsey

bobsey

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 08:29 AM

I have the Australian Ballet version of Don Quixote with Nereyev. I got it off the air a few months ago. Wish I could tell you more, but thought you might like to know that it does exist in video. I could probably copy it if you can't find it anywhere else

#3 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 09:57 AM

there is at least one CD of the score, more or less complete; the set i have is labeled as follows:
Leon Minkus
DON QUIXOTE
Capriccio 10 540/41
Boris Spassov conducts the Sofia Natinal Opera Orchestra, the date of the recording seems to be 1995.
there are a few versions on video.
Nureyev's, for the Australian Ballet 1972 was recently re-issued, digitalized, KULTUR.
Baryshnikov's for ABT (1984) was televised and recently released on PAL dvd.
The Kirov's 1988 staging was also released a while back.
Also the Perm Ballet's production, a fairly standard one from 1992 is also on tape, put out by KULTUR.
there are also any number of excerpts on tape.

#4 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 10:01 PM

The Spassov recording seems to hold to the Bolshoi tempi, but there are a few things that aren't "right" about it, for one thing the pauses for the one-hand lifts in Act I, and the finale, which, if it's by Minkus, I'll eat my hat, in fact ALL my hats! Apparently Minkus never wrote a closing number, and the original production simply ended with a reprise of the overture, with the old Don and Sancho riding off to "their" music, then a general dance to the 3/4 at the end of the overture.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):