This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Prima ballerina - every role?

Do you think that for a female dancer to be a prima ballerina whe must look and be right in every principal role? By this I mean: must she look equally right as Kitri than as Odette? and what about neoclassical roles?

For instance, when I think of Makarova I see her in Giselle or Swan Lake, but not as Kitri. Or the other way round?

(I am aware this might have something to do with type casting)

Thought it would be an interesting topic.

Absolutely not!!!!!! At a certain point, Prima Bs will demand to dance every role, and those who love them will love them in anything they do, but every dancer is most suited to his or her own particular repertory, by body type and by temperament, and withholding promotion from someone who can "only" do Kitri or Giselle -- or, worse, plopping them down in "Swan Lake" so they can prove they're "real ballerinas" -- is one of the Great Evils of our Day. Do a search for some of our threads on Employ, Silvy -- they'll be on Aesthetic Issues.

Other opinions welcome, of course :thumbsup:

..... when I think of Makarova I see her in Giselle or Swan Lake, but not as Kitri.....

Makarova herself has said that she does not make a good Aurora. Of course, she has danced Aurora many times. She rightly says that she makes a much better Bluebird.