• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 21 November 1998 - 07:47 AM

The Beauty productions all seem to run together in my memory - was that the one where the Prince made his entrance carried in on a litter? And the Vision Scene took place in a quarry? ...or maybe that was the next one. I thought the Hop o' my Thumb was the PITS, even with Sleep - or perhaps especially with Sleep. But I think it was the MacMillan that had a really wonderful bit where when the Prince and the Lilac Fairy got to the palace, you saw Aurora through long muslin curtains blowing in a breeze - it was lovely. Maybe we should put together a composite version based on all the best bits, and another based on all the worst?

#17 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 21 November 1998 - 09:49 AM

Now there's a real idea! I would gladly pay a premium to see either one of these composite stagings! I think you're right about the litter, and the blowing curtains do find a resonance in my recall, and I haven't been to see a Royal Sleeping Beauty since 1975 (Did this production scare me away?). The Good Ideas Beauty could be wonderful, but the Bad Ideas Beauty would be a refreshing change from all the "Greatest Hits of Tchaikovsky" programs and albums that abound. What about "The Worst of Sir Frederick Ashton" or "Beethoven's Biggest Turkeys"? I think we would find in either case that the worst of those two (to name only two) is better than most people's best work.

#18 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 22 November 1998 - 06:01 PM

Please start a Composite Sleeping Beauty Thread! It's a great idea. And then we can work our way through Swan Lake, Giselle....
Actually, I've always used a kind of composite method for watching ballet, especially the hacked and patched together versions of what's left of the 19th century. Proceeding from the assumption that what I am about to see is, at best, an aide de memoire, I've often watched a Swan Lake or a Giselle using my mind as a sort of VCR machine, playing "tapes" of remembered great dancers, great moments, or even just plain acceptable stagings when the going gets rough. It's not the ideal way to watch ballet, but it often beats reality.
alexandra

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):