This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Ballets danced to Mendelsohnn's symphonies?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 silvy

silvy

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 04:59 AM

Hi

I wondered if someone would tell if there are ballets danced to Mendelssohn's symphonies (especially the "Italian" and the "Scottish"). I only know the Balanchine's "Scottish Symphony", but surely there are other ones, by other choreographers?

Just curious - it happens that I find the music very apt for dancing, so I would be surprised if some other choreographers had not been tempted to put a hand on them?

Silvy

#2 liebs

liebs

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 05:10 AM

Peter Martins did a ballet called Capriccio Italienne (sp?) back in the 80s. Probably to the Italian Symphony and of course, there are the ballets to Midsummer.

#3 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 02:57 PM

"Capriccio Italien" was to the famous Tchaikovsky work of that title. I don't know that NYCB ever did a ballet to the Italian Symphony. I don't know if any major choreographer made a durable work to that music. Of course, in Midsummer, there's three movements of his early String Symphony #9 used for the divertissement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):