This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballet Tech

My wife and I both very much enjoy Ballet Tech and regularly attend their performances. BUT I never see anyone here mention them. Since I know that many of the participants here are in NYC and Ballet Tech has probably the most performances in a year after NYCB, how come they are never discussed or reviewd. Do you consider them sub-par? not "real" ballet? do you hate Feld? is going down to 19th street too far out of the way? Do you hate the Joyce? why are they so ignored?

Last Friday we saw Aurora I, which I admit was more Momix/Polobilous than ballet. But we also saw Straw Hearts, a delightful ballet to turn of the last century music. and wonderful ballet dancing by Patricia Tuthill and Wu-Kang Chen. This was followed by Pacific Dances to Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar. Think hula en-pointe! Very delightful and just plain fun.

I find most of his stuff enormously entertaining. It might night be the "classics" but it is quite enjoyable. Hopefully we will get to go again this week and see the other program. Has anyone else gone recently but is ashamed to mention it?

I used to be very fond of Feld; he's made some wonderful ballets, and continues to make interesting ones. I just wrote a rather lengthy and witty (well, I chuckled) description of some ballets of his which I considered real clunkers (both for NYCB and Ballet Tech). Then I decided that I shouldn't rain on your parade if you enjoy yourself at Ballet Tech. And I do rather like Aurora, from what I remember of it. I think it's become one of their signature works.

I also think that despite his occasional use of pointework and ballet technique, he expresses much more of a modern-dance esthetic, which of itself is fine, but perhaps makes him not as interesting to much of the NYC-based Ballet Alert contingent -- at least among our regular contributors.

I don't, however, think it's impossible to find works in the Feld repertory with wit, invention and even, as you observed, charm (although I think these days his wit tends to be rather arch). But I just don't get the feeling (based on my experience of Feld) that those ballets are in the majority, or even that I'd encounter them enough to make the trip and cost (I don't think there are any, or many, el-cheapo seats at the Joyce -- just limited and not-too-nice standing room).

As for the Joyce, it's a lovely theater, surrounded by charming restaurants. I was last there for the Trocks and had a great time. I do find a lot of their programming doesn't do much for me, though. And, since I live a short walk from Lincoln Center (as opposed to a short subway ride from the Joyce), I tend to focus on what's going on there first.

"I don't, however, think it's impossible to find works in the Feld repertory with wit, invention and even, as you observed, charm (although I think these days his wit tends to be rather arch). But I just don't get the feeling (based on my experience of Feld) that those ballets are in the majority, or even that I'd encounter them enough to make the trip and cost (I don't think there are any, or many, el-cheapo seats at the Joyce -- just limited and not-too-nice standing room). "

To each his own. I have the opposite feeling about Feld, and find MOST of the repertory filled with wit, invention, charm, and excellent dancing. As for the cost, by ordering 4 or more companies you get a 40 percent discount. Sometimes that is easy but I agree it is often difficult. Fortunately we joined for the winter season as the spring season has little other than Ballet Tech that I find of interest. Also, the sometimes take TDF vouchers, so it can cost as little as $7 to see a Ballet Tech performance and all of the seats at the Joyce are ok so it is not like being in the 5th ring at NYS.