This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Can someone explain what kind of festival it was? Do I understand correctly that it was just a thematic screening of various programs about the art of the USSR during the month? Do such festivals, dedicated to different countries, take place regularly?

FFVfhAooKMb7pV_silaIsMgr3zIDFKHXrgY9jDzQ

I do remember seeing Grigorovich's The Golden Age on A&E. This was probably the context. It was a version I haven't seen on YouTube, rather, one filmed by a foreign crew, probably for NVC Arts, but never reissued on DVD. The version floating around on YouTube is one filmed earlier by Soviet television, before Vladimir Derevianko, the original Compère, left the country.

Presumably, The World to Dance In aired during the same month. I don't remember what else was shown, and I don't recall how frequently A&Е did thematic programming. There was a lot of Italian opera on the channel, but I don't think every other month was designated as an Italian Festival.

Edited by volcanohunter

Apparently, that version of The Golden Age was filmed in 1987, so it may have aired on A&E for the first time in March 1989.

I don't know where The World to Dance In aired first. But the A&E channel didn't exist until 1984, and I don't know how many television providers carried it initially. By 1989 the channel was widely available.

The director's site says the film aired on PBS, Bravo and A&E, presumably in that order. PBS is not a centralized channel and programs can vary a great deal from station to station.

http://www.peterrosenproductions.com/productions/godunov/ 

On 10/11/2024 at 7:26 PM, volcanohunter said:

Apparently, that version of The Golden Age was filmed in 1987, so it may have aired on A&E for the first time in March 1989.

I don't know where The World to Dance In aired first. But the A&E channel didn't exist until 1984, and I don't know how many television providers carried it initially. By 1989 the channel was widely available.

The director's site says the film aired on PBS, Bravo and A&E, presumably in that order. PBS is not a centralized channel and programs can vary a great deal from station to station.

http://www.peterrosenproductions.com/productions/godunov/ 

Thank you very much.