This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Rhino editions

Hello all.  I will be periodically releasing accompanist editions of Public Domain ballet music.  Rather than announce a large work in a new thread, I will note them here as they appear.  

My focus is on creating
 a) rehearsal scores of difficult-to-find ballets
 b) performance-quality versions of well-known (but difficult to find) variations
Where appropriate, they will be made available on IMSLP.  I am still working out where to house things that are not well suited to IMSLP.   All of these works will also be available as engraving files in the free music editor MuseScore:   opening the files in MuseScore produces a fully editable score.  In other words, -- although there will always be a .pdf available -- you will not have to cut and paste printed pages from the .pdf.  Download the original files and make the cuts or rearrange the layout yourself.

I try to make my scores as useful as possible for the working  ballet accompanist.  At every step of the editing process I consider readability of the score, and the layout of dancer counts and phrases.  Whenever practical, dancer phrases are distinguishable at a glance; well known scenes and Pas are labeled and laid out to avoid page turns in the middle of variations.

Feedback from other dance musicians would be greatly appreciated, as the true test of usefulness is not my intention, but whether or not other people in fact find these editions useful.

Le Corsaire -  Version A   is now available in a Rhino edition.

This is (to my knowledge) the only complete, public domain, piano rehearsal score available -- a somewhat obscure variant uploaded a few years ago to IMSLP --  https://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ReverseLookup/246786

I have created a readable version (a Rhino edition): https://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ReverseLookup/931209
Vastly improved layout, with corrections,  musical attributions when possible, thematic index.  Links to all PD scores used to build this edition are included in the preface.

The Editable Version is on its way.  Musescore.com is proving troublesome.  I am still figuring out how to collect the different files in a coherent way.  I may have to host them somewhere else.   But the engraving files are available, just ask. 🙏 

Edited by RhinoHaggis
Probably not a Bolshoi score

I am beginning work on La Bayadère, which I expect to be difficult.  I’m beginning with the two-violin répétiteur in the Sergeyev Collection at Harvard.  I’ll be following leads from notes in different books, and sending out emails to researchers and libraries, but realistically I’m only going to be in a university library once a month and won’t otherwise be able to search/read most academic journals and research papers . 

I appeal to the BalletAlert hive mind.  If you have any information relating to Bayadère scores, i would be much obliged!