This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

"Tangos with the press"

This is a quote from an article by Mindy Aloff, dance critic of The Nation, on the book PRIVATE VIEW Inside Baryshnikov's American Ballet Theatre. By John Fraser. It sounds completely like this:

" Mr. Fraser scores a number of strong points, and his emphasis on people helps him. He brings to his assignment a sharp sense for dissembling behavior and a heartfelt admiration for Mr. Baryshnikov that goes back 14 years, when, as a young dance reviewer for The Toronto Globe and Mail, Mr. Fraser played a small but catalytic role in Mr. Baryshnikov's defection. Now editor of Saturday Night, a Canadian magazine, Mr. Fraser devoted himself to American Ballet Theater in depth over time. In return, Mr. Baryshnikov (whose tangos with the press can be uncomfortable) permitted Mr. Fraser generous access to company studios, offices and board room".

I don't quite understand what is meant by the expression "...Mr. Baryshnikov (whose tangos with the press can be uncomfortable)". Can anyone explain?

I think the expression means roughly that he did not always get along with the press —that the interactions were in some ways complicated. But WHAT exactly this refers to in Baryshnikov’s relationship with the press I don’t know. 

Edited by Drew
8 minutes ago, Drew said:

I think the expression means roughly that he did not always get along with the press —that the interactions were in some ways complicated. But WHAT exactly this refers to in Baryshnikov’s relationship with the press I don’t know. 

Thank you. Usually, relations with the press are "uncomfortable" when a person does not want to talk openly about something.

12 minutes ago, Meliss said:

Thank you. Usually, relations with the press are "uncomfortable" when a person does not want to talk openly about something.

Yes. Though the press can also be inappropriately intrusive especially with people it considers celebrities. I don’t know what the story was with Baryshnikov … There is another English expression that goes “it takes two to tango” —so maybe the writer is implying issues on both sides? But I am just guessing.

13 minutes ago, Drew said:

Yes. Though the press can also be inappropriately intrusive especially with people it considers celebrities. I don’t know what the story was with Baryshnikov … There is another English expression that goes “it takes two to tango” —so maybe the writer is implying issues on both sides? But I am just guessing.

Well, we're not talking about the tabloid press here. Consequently, Baryshnikov had something to hide).