This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Forsythe Kyoto Prize

This was announced earlier this month, but I only just read about it on social media, and a search didn't turn up discussion here--William Forsythe is one of the winners of the Kyoto Prize this year. It's awarded by a private foundation that (according to Wiki) collaborated with the Nobel Foundation in creating the prize. It goes to leaders in sciences and technology as well as the arts and philosophy. When I did the search on this site, I found mention of Pina Bausch winning it earlier this century.  On their page they describe Forsythe as "The Choreographer Who Opened a New Horizon of Performing Arts by Radically Renewing Methodologies and Aesthetics of Ballet and Dance: "
The link leads to a more extended discussion of his work.

Edited to add: with this type of prize perhaps one sees wider recognition of the role of ballet and dance in contemporary culture.  Also: I've always thought it a shame that Forsythe's work isn't more seen and discussed in New York. I know NYCB does a few works, but...

Edited by Drew