This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Message in a Bottle at the Kennedy Center

I don't know how many of you have heard of this show. It is an attempt to create something akin to a story ballet except using break dancing. It has a kind of difficult to figure out plot (at least for me, of course, I often have trouble figuring out the plot), something about 2 brothers and a sister in Chile during the reign of Augusto Pinochet leaving home and then getting caught up in a violent anti-government protest, arrested and beaten, the put on a boat to be sent into exile only to have the boat sink, and then eventually be re-united (except for the apparent wife/girlfriend of the younger brother, who drowned because there weren't enough life jackets). It was set to music by Sting (not AFAIK typical break dance music). I found it very entertaining, if not exactly Swan Lake. I don't know if it's typical for break dancers to portray characters in a story, but this group did pretty well. And of course there were the usual gravity-defying break dance moves.

Attendance was pretty poor, aggravated by scheduling too many performances (even ABT would have trouble selling out a 2-week run). IMHO, it deserved better attendance, because it really was a quality show even if it wasn't quite up to the standards of the elite ballet companies. I've seen it 3 times.

Edited by YouOverThere