This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

National Ballet of Canada 2024-25

18 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

Meiss will give her final performance on November 23rd. So we now know who's dancing Myrtha at the matinee. 

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/xygGmj4GJLBVd49N/

Oh shoot!   A day late for me.   So if I can't see her farewell performance hopefully she will still dance Myrtha at one of my shows.   If so I'll give my own private goodbye with some flowers tossed on stage.   

Tirion Law just posted her latest vlog on u-tube - mostly about the London tour and I suspect there will be another about Paris.  Of most interest to me was a look at the three hour rehearsal of Rhapsody coached by Leslie Collier, Ashton expert and the dancer he made this role on with Baryshnikov.  What a terrific opportunity for our dancers to have this kind of input!   As far as casting goes, it looks like Law and November are first cast (they were out front and getting most of the corrections, Penn Nabity and Shaakir Muhammad and the third couple I have difficulty identifying.  At first I thought it was Keaton  Leir and then not sure.   I kept going back to the company pictures but that didn't help much.   I'll find out soon enough I guess.   I noticed that November was trying the last lift of the pas de deux as Ashton created it - start it low and gradually lift his partner fully overhead (so it looks like she's floating up) as he walks off stage and that must take enormous strength.  From what I've seen many dancers just lift their partner straight up...much easier I guess.   Hope all our guys manage the original.

2 hours ago, Rosie2 said:

Tirion Law just posted her latest vlog on u-tube - mostly about the London tour and I suspect there will be another about Paris.  Of most interest to me was a look at the three hour rehearsal of Rhapsody coached by Leslie Collier, Ashton expert and the dancer he made this role on with Baryshnikov.  What a terrific opportunity for our dancers to have this kind of input!   As far as casting goes, it looks like Law and November are first cast (they were out front and getting most of the corrections, Penn Nabity and Shaakir Muhammad and the third couple I have difficulty identifying.  At first I thought it was Keaton  Leir and then not sure.   I kept going back to the company pictures but that didn't help much.   I'll find out soon enough I guess.   I noticed that November was trying the last lift of the pas de deux as Ashton created it - start it low and gradually lift his partner fully overhead (so it looks like she's floating up) as he walks off stage and that must take enormous strength.  From what I've seen many dancers just lift their partner straight up...much easier I guess.   Hope all our guys manage the original.

The third couple for Rhapsody looks like David Preciado and Emerson Dayton with red hair. They are a couple (from what I see on Instagram.)

Edited by Xiaoyi
21 minutes ago, volcanohunter said:

Heck, is Koto Ishihara dancing anything this fall? I would have considered the opening bill worth seeing only if she were dancing Rhapsody. Now I don't think it's worth seeing at all.

I saw Koto going over choreography with Tirion in the other Tirion's vlog (starting 3'00"), with Shaakir Muhammad in the background also. Maybe Koto is the 4th cast for Rhapsody? 

Edited by Xiaoyi
7 hours ago, Rosie2 said:

I'll give my own private goodbye with some flowers tossed on stage.

You're brave! I've encountered differing flower practices at various opera houses, but most often it involves either leaving flowers at the stage door, or leaving them at an "administrator's" office once you've passed the ticket check. In Hamburg I was told that audience members throw bouquets directly onto the stage. I'd never done that, but sure enough, at the end of the performance people lined up at the far edge of the orchestra pit on the house-left side and threw them as the intended soloist took his or her solo bow. Their bouquets were wrapped completely in cellophane so that the blooms wouldn't go flying off when they hit the stage. As it happened, I was sitting on the house-right side, directly behind John Neumeier and his entire artistic staff, so I wasn't about to crisscross them as Neumeier exited to make his way to the stage and go running across the entire front of the auditorium. Nor did I have any confidence that my throw would actually reach the middle of the stage, besides which, the tops of my bouquets weren't wrapped in cellophane. Instead I walked around the building to where I assumed the stage door would be and sheepishly handed them over to the addressees, somewhat embarrassed by my lack of bouquet-throwing skills.