This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Critics on ABT Giselle: Met 2023

11 hours ago, nysusan said:

Brandt and Cornejo were terrific. I do not think she was "soulless" or overcoached at all. I do think she has room to grow in the role but I think she's pretty wonderful already. A few people have mentioned that she is a more experienced Giselle. That's only compared to Hurlin and Teuscher. Brandt only made her Giselle debut in 2020 and can't have had more than 5-6 performances in the role - hardly enough to have a fully fleshed out interpretation and certainly nowhere near as experienced as Seo, Boylston, Shevy or even Murphy.

In my book today's Cornejo is still better than 90% of ABT's current male principals and I thoroughly enjoyed his performance. In fact, one of the complaints I always had with Cornejo was that for most of his career he was a terrible partner. He improved a lot over the past 5 years and I was super impressed with the way he did the press lift, he made it seem like Brandt was about to float off.

NYSusan, I could not agree with you more.  Here is one recent review.   https://bachtrack.com/review-giselle-american-ballet-theatre-kevin-mckenzie-new-york-july-2023