This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballet Chicago May 7, 2022 at 2 and 7:30 in the Harris Theater: Who Cares? and three premieres

Jack Reed

Well of course I care - couldn't resist that - but even slightly cut, by a few numbers, Balanchine's big Broadway ballet will add some needed cheer to our season or any season.  I write about about our excellent Balanchine-oriented local school, which B.C. is, on that forum; but briefly I can say here that much of their "syllabus" - the material the students use to learn on - consists of his choreography, and their dancing pleases me the way that does - I'm happiest when I see what I hear.

Much the same can usually be said about Ted Seymour's choreography, and this time we're seeing dances he's made to Stravinsky's Instrumental Miniatures, I believe, quirky and transparent music, so I expect some more fun of a less traditional kind; but the new Ravel ballet from AD Daniel Duell (of Balanchine's NYCB) and from Durante Verzola I know nothing about beyond what you also can read here:

https://www.harristheaterchicago.org/performance/balanchine-beyond-spring-series-fresh-perspectives