This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Do people find that their responses to ballets on DVD changes with continued viewing? I have just rewatched a few of mine and I find that I am a different watcher .

I found Prince of the Pagodas so full of longuers re the narrative when I first watched it but now I can enjoy the look and dancing and I dont see the ridiculous story.

So too the cinematographically awful Giselle, with Bruhn and Fracci. I loathed this when i first saw it because of the cameras intrusion, but I have become inured to the watery wilis. ( Bart, when they do the wilis' temps leve(?) and the camera zooms off into the water I thought that it might be a lost piece of your Swan Swamp!) I can now see so much more in this version.

Do attitudes change much? Have you hated something or liked it and found that you, or it ,has changed?

Absolutely! Just try moving tapes around, and putting people next to Maya Plisetskaya, and see how their technique changes the next time you watch!! :blushing:

Seriously, yes, I remember being surprised when i had the same reaction -- we like to think that we have one opinion (the Right opinion :) and of course, that won't change. But WE change. We see more, we see other things, we have a broader basis of comparison. Something that looked too simple at first may seem very complex a few years later. A dancer whom we liked immensely and thought was top drawer may seem a little less exciting after we've seen other dancers. Or, alas, we might just have a bad day! They never do. It's frozen in time. They win this round :)

I agree with both of you. My response to dvds is very much conditioned by (a) my purpose in watching and (b) the method by which I watch.

My first view tends to be rather passive -- getting a sense of the whole, the "look," the level of quality. Doing this, I'm quite conservative with the rewind, freeze, fast-forward, etc., functions.

Afterwards, when I re-visit, I watch again to study, compare, brood. i often do this with other dvds at hand, and with books and photos. That, for me, is the best part of dvd-ing.

Whetherwax, I never thought about it, but you're absolutely right about Prince of the Pagodas. A bore (to me) when watched as a whole. Fascinating, in many of its parts, when I'm in the re-visiting mode.

Does anyone else experience this?