This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Le Conservatoire

Sorry to post yet ANOTHER topic on Le Conservatoire but I have a dilemma. We're doing Paul Gnatt's reproduction of Le Conservatoire which uses different music from the Danish version and I have a recording of the Danish version. The adage, pas d'ecole, jumps, pas de trois and finale is the same (the finale is from a different part of the ballet) but the acting, the Victoria/Eliza pas de deux mazurka isn't from Le Conservatoire, the men's pas de quatre isn't from Le Conservatoire and Ashley's solo isn't from Le Conservatore and also the acting at the start isn't from Le Conservatoire. Can anyone help?

Can't help, I'm afraid, but you've certainly made me curious!!! Poul Gnatt left the Royal Danish Ballet 1950-51, I think. It's possible that he's using selections from the Bournonville Schools, or other classroom material that he would have known, from those years. (Much of "Conservatoire" was preserved because the enchainements were included in the Bournonville Schools by Hans Beck.) I'll try to check on this (I'm in touch with a Danish dancer from this era.) I remember you'd posted earlier about several classes being a part of this version? I'm guessing that Gnatt may have been trying to use the ballet as a teaching tool, and so essentially made up his own version.

You may already know this, but Poul Gnatt was Kirsten Ralov's brother. Ralov was an expert in the Bournonville steps and style, and put out a wonderful collection of the Bournonville Schools -- four volumes, one in Labonotation, one in Benesh, one of the piano scores, and one with the steps written out in English.