This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New NYCB Corps Members

For those who haven't seen the company roster this week, 5 of the 7 apprentices from this past year have apparently been given contracts: Tyler Angle, Likolani Brown, Maya Collins, Lauren King, and Sara Mearns. Their names now appear on both the roster page in the program, and on the NYCB website dancer listing.

When people are promoted there is a press release but when they are fired, there is nothing?

I wonder are all the dancers employed 'at will.' Can they be dismissed at any time?

Is the contract different for a principal?

If they have added new members haven't they dropped some people?

Dancers can't be fired at any time without cause, but they are contracted employees, and the contracts do not have to be renewed. I don't think legally that you need to give cause.

The law on this is complex and varies by locality (and I'm not a lawyer so I may have it all wrong). If anyone remembers the Glasco Fiasco in Toronto a few years ago, the law there is different, which had a very large impact on the case. As it was explained to me after a certain number of years as a contracted employee in Canada an employer must have cause if they opt not to renew a contract.

It should be ntoed as well that NYCB has a good deal of voluntary turnover. Yes, the management often makes it clear a dancer isn't going to do more than they are doing now, but I think far more dancers leave of their own accord than those that are asked to leave.