This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Cuban Dancers

Nora

In light of the recent news of two dancers from the Cuban ballet defecting while on tour in Florida, how is a dancer like Jose Manuel Carreno able to work with ABT and travel freely between America and Cuba? I have seen Carreno dance several times, and there is no doubt in my mind that every kudo he receives is well deserved. He is a breathtaking and precise dancer -- my favorite at ABT. That said, is it his celebrity that allows him to negotiate between these two worlds? Have I missed something? :shrug:

He's not viewed as a "flight risk" by the Cuban government and maintains a home and has a family in Cuba. He's a visual advertisement for the excellence of Cuban ballet training, and when he looks good, a little rubs off on Cuba. Just like "ping-pong" diplomacy of the 70s, which started the opening to the People's Republic of China, "ballet diplomacy" is starting to work in both the US and Cuba. A good sign, I think.

Although I respect their decision, and his reasons, as given to the press are quite correct, I question the wiseness of doing it at the present stage of their dance careers. Cuban dancers may not have the luxuries of other dancers around the world who belong to an established company; shoes, proper diet, etc. but they have a long career, they will be members of the company until they decide to retire, sure, the money is not great, but many have stayed and survived. A dancers life in North America is tough, there is no job security. Should they have risen through the ranks on their own merit, a sure fire contract abroad woud have followed, and their dream would have taken place. Carreno, the Feijoo sisters, Acosta and others are proof that talent is recognized and in demand. I do not think that just for being a member of the company is a guarantee, if there is no track record. Correct me if I am wrong.