25 replies to this topic

#16 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 05:32 AM

I've checked the books I have at home (a recent "Dictionnaire de la danse", Jacques's Baril dictionary and another one whose author I don't remember) and all of them give 1923 as the year of Legnani's death.

#17 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 05:38 AM

OK, I'm snowed in today, but I'll get to the library and check for a month and day in periodicals. Fortunately my local library has a complete run of Dance Magazine and its predecessors back into World War I, and also The Etude, a music magazine which covered dance as part of opera. They have surprising information in there, sometimes.

#18 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 08:17 AM

Mel, I do hope your source is the correct one. I did think it a bit strange, when I checked the dates before I put the photo up, that no-one quoted a month or a day, as they seem to for other people.

The picture came from Dance Index, for July 1946, which consists of a long article on Cecchetti by Vincenzo Celli (who is presumably the young man with all the dark hair).

#19 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 09:35 AM

Interesting for many different reasons, and yes, the man with the hair is Vincenzo Celli. By the time I was making the rounds of schools in NYC in the 60s, he had dropped one "l" and had become Vincenzo Celi. I never worked up the nerve to ask him why. Maybe he thought it made him look like a cello section?;)

#20 Alymer

Alymer

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 03:13 PM

Jane
Ivor Guest reproduces this picture in his biography of Virginia Zucchi. According to him Zucchi is on Cecchetti's right and Fornaroli is between them. Pierina Legnani he describes as 'third from right' and Celi as 'third from left'.
Could Zambelli be the woman immediately on Cecchetti's left and slightly behind him?

#21 grace

grace

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 05:41 PM

on a different focus entirely: i have never seen such a 'sweet' - or pretty- looking picture of pavlova...

probably you have all seen the marvellous studio photo of cecchetti taking class with an equally illustrious line-up of stars at the barre?

#22 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 06:06 AM

Pavlova was apparently on the set of Charlie Chaplin's The Cure, and appeared briefly as an extra as one of the hotel guests in a lobby scene, and at the spring after Charlie's nurse pours his illegal stash of whiskey into it, and the entire hotel goes on a rip-snorting drunk. If she's the one I think she is, she does a pretty good prattfall!

#23 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 07:14 AM

Alymer, I shouild think that could easily be Zambelli, who was only in her early fifties - but it's very hard to estimate the age of any of them - Zucchi looks amazingly well-preserved for nearly 80. And if Ivor Guest says Legnani was still alive by then, that settles it for me!

According to Celli, incidentally, Cecchetti on his deathbed recommended that Fornaroli should succeed him as principal of the La Scala school (which she did), but added 'But remember, you must eventually get a man for the place'.

#24 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,248 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 09:24 AM

I received an email from George Jackson with some information on Italian ballerinas:

dell'Era was for a long time prima in Berlin; in Theodor Fontane's novels, sophisticated Berliners are always rushing off to see dell'Era dance. Jane Pritchard not long ago had an article (Dancing Times, I think) on her.

The reason there is confusion about the death of several Italian ballerinas is that they often left the scene of their fame -- which could have been any one of a number of European cities -- when they retired and returned to their birthplaces where they may not have been well known. Pensions were sent to them there, and when they died their relatives were understandably not prompt in notifying the Vienna or Munich or wherever Operahouse because then the money would stop coming.

#25 grace

grace

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 30 March 2003 - 01:47 AM

alexandra, is the privelege of putting up pictures, reserved (understandably) for moderators? or is there some trick that i'm missing? i tried to put one up in another thread using the [ img ] tags, but no success...

#26 pleiades

pleiades

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 08:29 PM

One of my teachers was a protege of Celli's, who incidentally is quoted in the Joffrey's program notes for L'air D'Espirit about his experience partnering Spessivtzeva.

There is a picture of Celli in the studio, and it is, I must confess, pretty spine tingling to think that the lineage goes all the way back to Legat and Cechetti.

Edited by pleiades, 07 July 2003 - 08:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):