This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

World Ballet Symposium in the UK

Ari has found this article in the guardian, about the weekend's conference

What's making today's directors nervy, though, is that the climate of creativity seems to have turned sour. It has become much harder to persuade audiences to watch anything outside the tried and trusted rep. Tickets are prohibitively expensive and the really adventurous public has been appropriated by modern dance.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/

story/0,11710,873472,00.html://http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/feat...,873472,00.html

and another by jann parry: wayne eagling says:

...ultimately, being a good director is a question of taste. You've got to be able to look at a dancer, choose a choreographer, give a company a sense of direction. You're not a business administrator, it's not your job to balance the books.'  

Oh yes it is, said the young Turks, who now go on management courses to prepare for their second career. They have been advised by American gurus such as Michael Kaiser (ex-Royal Opera House) and Bruce Marks (ex-director of Boston Ballet) that running a big dance company is big business. 'They need to be able to read financial statements to be able to challenge their boards,' said Marks. 'Then they can say, "We could afford to do this if we spent less on that." Without that, they're powerless.'

http://observer.co.uk/review/story/0,6903,873058,00.html

Grace -- I don't think you did anything wrong; some newspapers change a link from day to day. Today's link is an archive link tomorrow. (Or you MAY have copied the link incompletely. The formatting is right; the link works. It's just that the article isn't there.)

Sorry, but I didn't have time to search for the article on the Guardian site to see if it's somewhere else.

thanks alexandra - however i have added another link, and that doesn't work, either. also i am having problems with editing (not just this post, but others also). if i edit more than once, (or maybe too quickly after posting?), it seems to keep reverting to the PREVIOUS copy of my text, which makes it very hard to do edits. i should just get it right the FIRST time! :)

neither of these newspaper reports are very informative, or at all enlightening. and, with due respect to wayne eagling for his various accomplishments over the years, i nevertheless think his view - that AD training isn't possible - is naive.

Grace, all of the problems you're having sound like browser problems -- do you click Refresh/reload or clear your cache? When you view a page it's stored in the browser, so if you try to view the page again, you'll get the old page, not the new one (browsers are lazy). If you click Refresh you'll get the new page. This is not a problem with the board.

The same thing may be happening with the link??? You'll go to the page that's cached in your browser, but if I go to that page, it's new to my browser and so I'll get the new page. Hope that makes sense?

Grace, when you edit a post, are you clicking on "Reset Message?" Clicking that undoes all your edits and causes the message to revert to its previous, unedited form. You should just click "Save Changes." There's no way I know of to preview an edited post.

Alexandra wrote

Grace, all of the problems you're having sound like browser problems -- do you click Refresh/reload or clear your cache? When you view a page it's stored in the browser, so if you try to view the page again, you'll get the old page,
ah - HAAA !

thank you! :)