This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Competitions as a contradiction of ballet ideals

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Solor

Solor

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 06:28 PM

#2 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 07:01 PM

No offense taken, Solor.

I'm of two minds about them. I don't think there is much benefit to them artistically. I also don't think that what makes a medal winner is what makes an artist.

On the other hand, the practical part of me acknowledges that people seem to love competitions and they raise exposure both for individual dancers who didn't come from the main academies and for ballet in general.

In short, I don't like 'em, but I think they're here to stay and we ought to try and steer them in a good direction (raising exposure) rather than a bad one (turning the art into a sport).

#3 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 07:10 PM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, with pianist Artur Rubinstein, whose granddaughter I had the pleasure to teach, "Competitions are for horses."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):