Kaatsbaan InternationalDance Center Extreme Ballet Showcase 2002

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 driver of a dancer

driver of a dancer

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 September 2002 - 07:51 AM

My dancing daughter and I attended the showcase Saturday August 31,2002. It is located in Tivoli NY at the Kaatsbaan Center.
Remember now this is from a "driver of a dancer."
Martine van Hamel is the Artistic Director
John Meehan, Bonnie Mathis, and Jessica Lang were the Faculty.
27 performers, 4 of those were male.
I think of the names listed 2 were from the ABT Studio Company maybe another also.
The showcase lasted apporx. 1 1/2 hrs.No intermission. Free
It began with a demonstration Class which had center, men's technique, pointe barre and center.
moved onto excerpts from Giselle Act II. Very informal no scenery a lovely short talk by Martine setting the mood. Some solos and most of the students were used in the cast.
Then Giselle Act I with a few solos
This as well as the demonstration class had Michael Kingon as Accompanist.
Then with CD: Excerpts from The long and winding road with some solo dancing again.
and then it finished with these short solo pieces: After Eden, Torso, After Eden and NO Sleep
A final new work by Jessica Lang and all the dancers called Studio Three. All really seemed to enjoy themselves in this piece.
At the end all performers were presented with a lovely flower from Martine.
It was very lovely and organized since Martine stressed they only were working on this program I believe for 4 days.
Kaatsbaan is located in lovely Tivoli NY. Probably about 2 3/4 hrs from NYC.

#2 Calliope

Calliope

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 04 September 2002 - 09:14 AM

Thanks for the report driver.
Is this something they'll eventually perform for a paying audience?

#3 driver of a dancer

driver of a dancer

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 September 2002 - 09:44 AM

This was the student performance for family and friends at the end of the program.

#4 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 04 September 2002 - 03:43 PM

I'm just curious what an "extreme" version of Giselle looks like ;) But then again, it's the overused word of the moment, isn't it? We have extreme sandwiches, extreme Christianity (really. . .) Why not Extreme Ballet? It's just as meaningless.

#5 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 04 September 2002 - 04:19 PM

Kaatsbaan is an interesting animal; it's a sort of "dance tank" the way that Brookings or Rand runs a "think tank". The summer student program is only a part of their total activity. For a link to their site:

http://www.kaatsbaan.org/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):