This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Special St. Petersburg 300th Anniv Events in StP, Russia!!

The Mariinsky Theater has officially announced dates for next year's Kirov-Mariinsky events, related to the 300th anniversary of the founding of the city of St Petersburg:

31 December 2002 - New Years Concert & Ball at the Mariinsky Theater

21 Feb/2 March - III Mariinsky International Ballet Festival

5 May/30 June 2003 - Stars of the White Nights Festival (but note that bulk of the ballet troupe will be in Edinburgh mid-May for a week, then in Graz, Austria in mid-June, as per my earlier thread)

31 May 2003 - Ballet & Opera Gala Ball in Tsarskoye Selo/Ekaterinsky Palace. Gala concert with top ballet & opera stars to be staged on the lake in the park, with firworks & "fantastic lighting effects" (as per Kirov-Mariinsky flyer publicising the event).

St Petes in 2003, anyone????

Thanks Jeannie. So the Maryinsky Festival next year will be even longer than this year's. I've come to the conclusion that the best stage to see to see the Kirov is still at their Maryinsky Theatre. Last week it was a delight for me to see Le Corsaire there; there were eight pairs of Vaganova students (missing in Covent Garden) to augment the corps de ballet in the Jardin Anime scene, as well as three huge fountains instead of only two in London.

Sorry, NO7 - that's a new one to me!! Perhaps it is a tour being marketed by a hotel or tourist agency? What I listed above are the events being managed & sponsored by the Mariinsky Theater.

The entire year of 2003 will be extra-special because of the 300th anniversary of the founding of the city. It's a leitmotif that is apparent when one turns any street corner in St pete nowadays. half of the monuments or palace facades are covered in scaffolding, as the city is sprucing up for it s big celebration.