This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Baryshnikov in Black and White is out

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,276 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 01:32 PM

A new mostly picture book about Baryshnikov is out -- it's on Amazon :)

Here's the publisher's info (from the Amazon page):

Baryshnikov in Black and White presents, in over 175 photographs, the remarkable breadth of his achievement between the years 1974 and 2000. From his legendary roles in the classic ballets Giselle and Don Quixote, to his work with some of the world's greatest contemporary choreographers, Baryshnikov is shown here in both rehearsal and performance. Captured by the leading dance photographers, his vitality and genius are evident on every page. With an inspired and richly detailed essay by the New Yorker dance critic (and Baryshnikov biographer) Joan Acocella, a complete chronology of his roles, and extensive annotated captions, Baryshnikov in Black and White is the definitive book on his remarkable career in the West.

I believe that Robert Greskovic also worked on the "extensive annotated captions."

I haven't seen this one yet, but it certainly seems like an important book -- and an enjoyable one. Has anyone here read it?

#2 Paquita

Paquita

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 11:25 AM

I saw it at the bookstore Indigo. It's very expensive, but there are some incredible photos. It goes through every year of his career, from his defection up to his performances with the White Oaks Dance Project. It's a quite thick, hardcover book, and of course, should be on the coffee table of every Baryshnikov fan!

#3 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,276 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 01:29 PM

I'm really just bumping this up to the top. I don't have it yet, but have leafed through it in my locak bookstore and the photographs are fantastic.

Has anyone else seen/read it?

#4 Yvonne

Yvonne

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 July 2002 - 08:45 PM

I've seen it too.....yes, some great pictures. I was quite dissapointed and suprised that there were no pictures of him dancing with Gelsey Kirkland (many of his other partners were shown, but no Kirkland.):(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):