This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Setting?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MinkusPugni

MinkusPugni

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 06:42 PM

I've always been confused as to what the different time periods are in the ballet and where the ballet is set? Which productions to what?

#2 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 05:31 AM

Whatever period a company chooses to set its Beauty in, after Aurora wakes up, it should only be a century later. The Royal had a production many called the "Plantagenet Beauty", where the first scenes looked as if they were set sometime in the late 12th century and the last act sometime in the middle 15th. They seemed to spread architecturally and costumewise over nearly 300 years, and they still didn't get out of one English dynasty. When design academics like these call attention away from the dancing, you have a ballet with troubles.

I personally prefer a 17th/18th century split. Leave the medieval for Raymonda.

And what country does it take place in? Why, Fantasyland, of course!

#3 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:47 PM

I've read that Diaghilev changed it to 500 years...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):