• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Gina Ness

Gina Ness

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 07:54 PM

sz...Thank you for sharing your very personal connection with us. Everything that you said about Fernando is exactly how I perceived him...Mr. Bujones was one of the greatest dancers I have ever seen and one of the best dancers of ALL time...He will be so missed. May he rest in peace, and my heart goes out to his family in this time of transition and great sorrow.

#17 Solor

Solor

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 08:53 PM

What a tragedy! I was absolutly SHOCKED when I heard the news! This really sucks.

I am very very very sad, I took class from him many times, and he taught me the Grand Pas from "La Bayadere". :(

My heart goes out to his family.

#18 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 05:38 AM

When I was nine years old I took ballet classes at a marvelous open air theatre in Coral Gables, FL. The teacher was an old Russian man named George Millenoff. I was the only boy in class and Mr. Millenoff called me "Snow Vite" because on my first day of classes I showed up in a white leotard I had worn in a tap recital the year before.

Not long after my first day a young guy came to take class. I was excited to no longer be the only boy in class. The other boy was Fernando and because he was new he did not know that after barre all of the students did splits in the center of the floor. He also did not know that all students brought a hand towel to class. The open air theatre was very dirty, especially the flloor so we washed our hands after splits. On the day I met Fernando, I offered my towel to him when we washed our hands. After class I came out into the waiting area and I heard him telling my father how many hours he practiced ballet and piano each day. I'll never forget the look of delight on my father's face hearing this information. My father was so impressed.

Not long after that I saw Fernando at SAB when I was there for the summer and many years later at Kennedy Center where I was the horn boy in Act III of SWAN LAKE for ABT (Lucia Chase was the Queen), Fernando, already a star remembered me in the elevator. I was so proud to be remembered and spoken to by him in front of all the other people.

Besides being the most beautiful male classical dancer of his time, he was a bit more athletic than Dowell my other hero, Fernando was a good person. For that he was my hero and will always be.

R.I.P. dear Fernando.

#19 Andres

Andres

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 04:06 PM

I am surprised there is nothing on the ABT website acknowledging the passing of one of its greatest dancers.

#20 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:20 PM

During his pre-performance talk at a Miami City Ballet performance today, Edward Villella was asked by a member of the audience to comment on Bujones's passing. Villella reminisced about taking class in NYC with the 13-year-old Bujones. He remembered thinking how good he expected the still physically slight Bujones to be "when he grew into those big feet." Villella on Bujones the adult dancer: "He was a Stradivarius."

#21 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:45 PM

Thank you for that bart.

#22 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:17 AM

Sorry for this belated but sincere reaction to Fernando Bujones' passing, as I've been offline for a while.

Those of us who saw Bujones perform live will never forget that incredible technique and presence! Thank goodness, he was filmed many times and he will continue to dance in our memories and screens for a long, long time (Varna 1974 competition, ABT at the Met, ABT in San Francisco, Chilean 'Sleeping Beauty,' Puerto Rican 'Coppelia,' documentary 'First Position,' Video Dictionary of Classical Ballet, etc, etc.). His Blue Skater in Ashton's 'Les Patineurs' was my special favorite; I'll always think of him spinning even faster than a real ice-skater, when I see that ballet.

May he rest in peace.

Natalia

#23 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:29 PM

The January (2006) Dance Magazine has an excerpt from Bujones's unfinished autobiography, describing the events leading up to his winning the Gold Medal at Varna.

It includes a few interesting descriptions of his programming choices and variations, as well as some lovely photos.

Most touching is a smiling and playful photo of Bujones on demi-point in streetwear, shot in front of the Met at Lincoln Center last June.

There are also tributes/memories from several of his partners at ABT: Kirlland, Gregory, Tcherkasskky, von Hammel, and Makarova.

#24 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 02:49 PM

Clive Barnes, in Dance Magazine for March 2006, has a wonderful and well-balanced tribute to Bujones, praising his dancing but not ignoring some of his professional difficulaties.

Here's his final paragraph:

QUOTE: "Bujones was a fantastic, unforgettable dancer, and he was also arguably the first of the major Latino dancers to play a key role in American ballet. Indeed, when all is said and done, Bujones deserves the reputation of one of the few truly significant classical dancers of the past half-century -- on a level with Babilee, Bruhn, Villella, Nureyev, Baryshnikov, and Bocca. But although he achieved their degree of artistry, a certain lack of focus on the part of the entrepreneurial, public, and critical spotlights during a major part of his career has meant that he is still not as widely perceived as he deserves to be as an iconic figure of classical ballet."

#25 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:46 PM

If you have a broadband connection, there's some footage of the 15 year old Fernando Bujones in rehearsing Don Q here in William Richert's "A Dancers Life" ... it's a little before halfway through this segment

A Dancer's Life excerpt

#26 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:21 AM

Thanks so much for that link. I would never have guessed that this was a 15-year-old. Videos of Nureyev at the time of his graduation from the Kirov school had great style, but not the consistency and assurance of technique.

Have there been other dancers at this age with the same level of technical skill and sheer aplomb?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):