This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

David Parsons Dance Theatre

Hey all you DMB-ites,

So I just saw the piece titled "DMB" last night here in Indianapolis at Clowes Hall on the Butler University campus. I believe we were the second crowd to see it as it only premiered 4 nights ago in Newport, Virginia.

The set list for the piece was Satellite, PNP, When The World Ends, PNP (reprise), Out Of My Hands & Stay. They used PNP as a link or interlude if you will between two of the pieces which was a pretty cool idea.

Costumes were very organic in that they wore beige linen pants, t-shirts and a linen rolled-up long sleeve shirt. Very cool and relaxing looking for a very cool piece.

Satellite opened the piece to a very cool-soothing series of transistions in a very well patterned circle of what almost seemed like, well none other than a satellite in orbit. The thing about Parsons Dance Company, as noted in the pre-performance discussion, is that you can not take it so seriously. You have to go and just look at it and take it for what it is. It worked for me and the rest of the crowd, although many of which were white haired, was very enthusiastic. Many of the college aged crowd behind wanted to erupt in ovation on the first note of DMB, but I felt they got scared and cowered out.

Back to the dancing...

Satellite finished after a series of amazing patterns and coordination that really fed your eye. PNP served as a sweet interlude and a small discussion between two dancers played out in choreography was quite playful and just all around feel good.

As the dancers returned into a clump on the stage, one more came out as the music crashed with When The World Ends. After a series of cool turns and jumps, it was someone elses turn to get angry and dance. Each dancer displayed some very cool athleticism that kept the audience involved to see what would happen next. PNP played one more interlude and it was time for Out Of My Hands. For some reason this piece eludes me at the moment. While Parsons work is very innovative, sometimes your eyes can take so much that many of his ideas are somewhat forgotten.

The piece finished with Stay. This was an all around show stopper, much like Dave's wailing was in that very cool bootleg of Seek Up from 7.30.01. The company you could tell was having a blast and it was just one more chance for them to strut their stuff. With the back-up singers going nuts, Parsons did the same with his dancers as they came out in solos or pairs.

All in all a very cool piece. One I hope that will get the recognition it deserves. I would have liked at least two more songs for this piece, but as a dancer, I know how demanding a piece like this can be.

If you guys get a chance to see Parsons on tour, GO!!! Not just for this piece but for innovative ideas with a very good sense of humor. Pay attention and look for the signature piece CAUGHT. Strobe lights are used. I do not want to spoil this piece for you, you just have to experience it.

Later and Good Times!!

~Ian~

www.ianpoulis.com