• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 06:52 PM

Here's some promotions related to this program:

Special Nine Sinatra Songs Events and Promotions
January 11, 2005

Skate with Sinatra at the Blue Cross RiverRink
Saturday, January 22, 6-8 p.m.

Join us under the stars for a spin around the rink to the romantic music of the "Chairman of the Board." You could go home with a special Nine Sintra Songs prize pack containing two tickets to see Pennsylvania Ballet's production of Twyla Tharps' Nine Sinatra Songs, dinner for two at the Capital Grille and some other great items.

Admission is $6 and skate rental is $3. For more information call 215-925-7465 or visit www.riverrink.com.

National Wear Red Day
Friday, February 4, 8 p.m.

Pennsylvania Ballet partners with the American Heart Association to raise awareness about heart disease. We invite audience members to wear red to this performance to show their support for the cause. Audience members spotted wearing red will be chosen at random to receive prizes.

For more information on how you can prevent heart disease, please visit the American Heart Association www.americanheart.org.

#17 purelyballet

purelyballet

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 04:01 PM

Amy, I could not agree with you more....PBS could be doing so much more in their coverage of dance and the new talent....

#18 purelyballet

purelyballet

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 04:22 PM

Does anyone know if casting has been posted for this series yet?

#19 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 04:26 PM

No, it hasn't.

#20 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:21 AM

The casting is online now. See http://www.paballet....aspx?id=2&src=l
and click at the right (pdf file).

#21 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:27 AM

The casting appears to be the same for all performances. And Lorenzo is back!

#22 pugbee

pugbee

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 06:32 AM

Francis Veyette is back????!!!! Mid-season???? Anyone see anything in the press about that? (I, for one, am very excited!) :D

#23 purelyballet

purelyballet

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 04:21 PM

I understand that it was opening night last night for the Nine Sinatra Songs series. Unfortunately I was unable to make it out to Philly, so can anyone fill me in????

#24 socalgal

socalgal

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 01:22 PM

So John Rockwell of the NYTimes came to Philly to review this program.......what an interesting surprise! Although unable to attend this show, I was given a far clearer picture from the Kraus review than from Rockwell's. Did anyone else see the show or is anyone going this weekend? Would love to hear more......it seems that Neenan's 11:11 was a wonderful success!

#25 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 08:21 PM

Well that's a strike in Rockwell's favor! It used to be just about impossible to get the NY Times out to review PA B.

#26 GWTW

GWTW

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 09:04 AM

I saw this program on Sat eve., Feb 5, and it was a delightful evening. All the ballets were new to me; actually, all the choreographers were too. I'm sorry that no-one else here was able to catch this program, as I'd like to know what the more knowledgable posters thought.
My main impression was that the entire evening was about real people - no gods and goddesses or fairy princesses here - just real people beautifully dancing real ballet.
The only complaint I have about this evening is that the order of the ballets was switched without any notice!! so Peter Martins' The Waltz Project opened instead of being the second ballet. Notwithstanding, I think I wouldn't have enjoyed The Waltz Project in any case. It was boring. The choreography was very pose-y (as opposed to flowing) - like a collection of stretches and positions that dancers like to do in the studio while they're waiting for their turn to do something else. Also, the audience knows that the dancers have good turn-out, we don't need this to be proved by displaying the ladies' crotches all the time. More than anything else though, there was an inexplicable aggressive nature to many of the duets, as if some kind of "Battle of the Sexes" was going on but for no good reason.?
The second ballet, 11:11, used music which is very much of the moment. Contemporary alt-pop music which obviously spoke to many in the audience, myself included, and although I enjoyed this ballet very much, I do wonder how I would react if this type of music was not part of the fabric of my daily life (as The Waltz Project music is not). The relationships in this ballet were not as starkly contrasted or as sterotypical as they were in the other ballets of the evening - for instance, in a trio of two men and a woman, the woman and one of the men did the same steps and were partnered by the other man - but also a little anonymous. This ballet gave me the feel of watching a good episode of a series like Party of Five or Everwood. I saw a very distinct generational difference between Martins and Tharp, who are of my parent's generation and Matthew Neenan, who is probably my age or a little younger.
The evening closed with Nine Sinatra Songs, which was just a ball - witty, inventive, funny, sad, effervescent (sp?). This ballet too comments on relationships- these relationships are more silver screen than TV, but they're still real people and not Hollywood goddesses. The dancers handled what seemed to be very tricky partnering with incredible grace. Oddly enough, the only couple that seemed to be struggling a little with the partnering were Arantxha Ochoa and Thomas Baltrushunas in "One for my Baby", but perhaps they were supposed to be struggling?? Julie Diana has a lovely serene mature presence in everything she dances - here she was partnered by Francis Veyette. Someone asked about him - he is listed in the Corps, but his picture doesn't appear in the Playbill. I especially liked Laura Bowman and Philip Colucci in "Somethin' Stupid" - they were heartbreakingly young and funny. They were also featured in 11:11 - looks like they're PA Ballet's up and coming couple.

#27 purelyballet

purelyballet

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 03:13 PM

GWTW, thank you for your overview on these ballets. I am so sorry that I was uanble to attend, but am excited that I will be in town to see La Fille. If anyone else can shed any light on these past performances, I would love to hear what you thought.

#28 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 04:09 PM

Thanks for the detailed report, GWTW --

We in SanFrancisco really are eager for word on Julie Diana, whem we really miss for her musicality and tenderness; she's an old-fashioned girl, was our best Juliet, her Giselle had dimensions to I had NEVER seen before... when she saw Bathilde's dress, it was..... we could feel her response as if from hte inside. SHe really has an imagination.

I think One more for my baby is meant to have some struggle in it -- I saw it in Berkeley 10 years ago with Tharps own company, and herself in that role -- and it was almost "Show me the way to go home", a hilarious drunken mime scene as much as a dance....

It's not politically correct to do comic drunk-acts any more, but ten years ago that wasn't so fierce; Thapr was off balance most of the time, if I remember right, and at one point I think she fell off his back (ormaybe she was just about to -- I can't remember the detail, just that it bowled me over). Was there any of this quality to it? As I recall, when ABT did the ballet the very next year it had lost most of its detail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):