This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Bolshoi's Ivan the Terrible

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Melissa

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 March 2002 - 12:17 PM

Does anyone know if a video of the Bolshoi's Ivan the Terrible is available? I think it was filmed in the '70's and starred a remarkable dancer in the title role confused.gif . If I'm not mistaken Bessmertnova danced Anastasia. The performance has it's over the top moments, but without them it wouldn't be the Bolshoi wink.gif .

#2 rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 08 March 2002 - 12:38 PM

w/out sounding self-absorbed, on pp. 551-52 of my book, ballet101, there is a list of 3 tapes of 'ivan the t': 2 complete (though one of these is somewhat abridged) and one offering only act 1. these date from 1990, 1988 (the tape's release date; the ballet was filmed in '77) and 1991 (the single-act tape).
bessmertnova is in the '77 and '90 perfs. the former opposite yuri vladimirov, the title role's originator, the latter opposite irek mukhamedov. the one-act offering is led by alexander vetrov and maria bylova. (i think the mukhamedov & bessmertnova tape was released by spectacor, as part of the 'bolshoi at the bolshoi' series, if mem. serves. and i don't think that label is still in business.

[ March 08, 2002, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: rg ]

#3 ronny

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 16 March 2002 - 04:44 PM

You probably already know this, but the Bolshoi Prokofiev Gala has 3 sections in it and the longest part of the tape is "Ivan the Terrible" (1991 Alexander Vetrov and Maria Bilova as Anastasia).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):