This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

The Four Temperaments

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,279 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 08:46 AM

No, not that one. The book. Always behind, I finally got through Yona McDonaugh's novel this weekend -- good train/plane reading, if not a masterpiece, is my take on it. I'm glad that this book exists, though -- it takes ballet and art seriously, one major character is a young dancer, another is a member of the NYCB orchestra. I thought the author handled the problem of writing about a real company -- NYCB -- believably, although she's changed major characters (the artistic director, the balletmistress).

Did anyone else read this?

#2 socalgal

socalgal

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 09:09 AM

:shhh: I confess........
I saw it lying on a table at Costco and picked it up because of the cover and the title :)

I ended up taking it to Hawaii with me .....it made great beach reading.
No, not a classic, but the NYCB backdrop was surely believable and I enjoyed it for that reason.

#3 pj

pj

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 10:23 PM

I read it and I have to say that I was pretty disapointed. I'm not keen on "cheating" stories, so this is just a personal preference. I'm sure part of my disapointment is due to the fact that a friend (who reads a LOT) had read rave reviews of it (before distribution) and she was so excited about it coming out, that I asked my husband to buy it for me for my birthday, so I could read it and then share it with her (as she is so generous with sharing her books). We were both
left feeling the book was a bit shallow, although we did appreciate the little bits and pieces of real ballet that were in the book.

#4 scoop

scoop

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 10:24 AM

I couldn't finish it. When the story drifted away from the ballet world so did I. None of the characters struck me as compelling and I couldn't care less what happened to them. And although the author went to SAB, I didn't feel like there was much evocation of that world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):