• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 04:25 AM

Past ROUNDABOUT THEATRE COMPANY productions of CABARET and NINE have me convinced that I must figure out a way to get to 54th St. come this Nov.

B. W. Wong, whom I remember well from M. BUTTERFLY, is slated to star.

#2 tempusfugit

tempusfugit

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 07:53 AM

Glebb, you really should go, especially if you haven't seen the show before.
it's terrific-- one of Sondheim's best efforts ( I think this and Night Music are his best musicals).....
a hilarious patter song a la G and S for four ambassadors, I believe it is, a beautiful trio for three sailors, and all sorts of amazing effects--

#3 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 01:46 PM

Thanks tempusfugit. :)

I saw a wonderful revival of PACIFIC OVERTURES at the Promenade Theatre (76th St.?) back in the early 80s. It was fantastic. Chicago Shakespeare also did a superb production about two years ago.

I would say my favorite Sondheims are:
A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
FOLLIES
PACIFIC OVERTURES
SWEENEY TODD
COMPANY
SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE
INTO THE WOODS

November will be a very busy work time for me, but I really want to try to get a weekend trip together. ROUNDABOUT THEATRE COMPANY seems to be my cup of tea. Were they not also responsible for the production of FOLLIES that I adored on Broadway about two years ago?

#4 tempusfugit

tempusfugit

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 08:38 AM

Yes, and I wish I'd seen that! heard it was great, and in fact Follies is my other favorite Sondheim show. Roundabout was excellent the time I saw a production--
I also remember BD Wong from M. Butterfly, and John Lithgow.....
Did you ever see Postcards from the Edge? Shirley MacLaine does a wonderful I'm Still Here in that.

#5 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 04:38 PM

Love all of POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE!

Carol Burnett does a good "I'm Still Here" on a benefit recording of FOLLIES also featuring a glorious Barbara Cook and extremely appealing Lee Remick.

I also saw Delores Grey as Carlotta in London many years ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):