This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ringer BEAUTY II

Saturday matinee 2/21...Jenifer Ringer has the ideal combination of technical accomplishment, lyricism and sheer beauty to make her a magical Aurora. Today she gave a secure, radiant Rose Adagio and a tender Vision scene, then took the level even higher in the Wedding adagio & following solo. It was a great pleasure to watch her at every moment. Neal was an ardent Prince and Kowroski a Lilac Fairy on the grand scale. It was great seeing that living legend, Merrill Ashley, her mobility fully restored, reveling in Carabosse's evil deeds. The prologue fairies (Hanson, Keenan, Rutherford, Mandradjieff & Bar) offered contrasting beauties. The Vision scene was especially nice today. Edge and van Kipnis shone is the pas de quatre and Bouder danced very impressively but I can't get interested in her facially. Likwise Fairchild, whose wide-eyed expression sometimes gives the impression that she is perpetually startled. She & de Luz gave an airy Bluebird pas de deux but Daniel Ulbricht's dazzling Jester made me wonder why NYCB needed de Luz in the first place. I should note that de Luz's landings were softer than previously. There were so many of my favorite corps dancers in various capacities that I couldn't keep track of them all. Newly-promoted Steven Hanna was a noble, exotic Native American "prince" in the Rose Adagio.

The production is attractive, especially the opening projections as we approach the castle and the zodiac wheel denoting the passage of the hundred years. This is a fast-paced BEAUTY musically and dramatically and I like it.

Looking forward to Bouder & Weese Auroras next week.