• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,015 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 03:45 PM

A review in the Financial Time of a mixed rep show by the Vienna Opera Ballet included mention of a "Slingerland pas de deux by William Forsythe. It is apparently an excerpt from a larger ballet -- could someone here tell me what ballet it is taken from, and is the Slingerland of the title a reference to the Slingerland who worked with dyslexic children?

the review -- http://news.ft.com/s...p=1016625900929

#2 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 06:14 PM

Slingerland is a manufacturer of percussion instruments and guitars. And there is also a Dutch bicycle manufacturer of that name.

And the ballet from which the pas de deux is excerpted is titled...wait for it..."Slingerland"! It has music by Gavin Bryars and Thom Willems.

#3 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,015 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 10:29 PM

Many thanks for the information. In another forum I read a negative review of a Forsythe work that claimed he seemed to be parodying people with learning disabilities -- the reviewer seemed offended by his style in general but I thought perhaps there was some connection.

#4 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 04:27 AM

Forsythe isn't everybody's cup of tea, and he also has a sometimes dada-like tendency toward titling his works. He could just as easily have chosen "Slingerland" because he liked the sound of it! :shrug:

#5 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,015 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 09:55 AM

he also has a sometimes dada-like tendency toward titling his works.

Very true! I've liked the work I've seen, though, and am sorry that the municipal government in Frankfurt has sqeezed him out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):