This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Ballet Theater of Maryland

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kiki

kiki

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 07:04 PM

Not sure if I am posting this in the appropriate forum...feel free to move it!!!

I am just doing a little research on smaller companies and I came across the Ballet Theater of Maryland. I know a lot of people here are from the Washington DC area so I was wondering if any of you knew anything about this company? Any info would be great!!!

#2 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 07:33 PM

Hi, Kiki! There are some people here who know this company well, but until they come in, I can say that it's located iin Annapolis, or was last year when I saw a program, and is a small company. It lost its long-time artistic director last year. I think a new one has just been appointed, Diana Cuatto, but I can't give further details.

Here's a link to the company's web siteBallet Theater of Maryland

#3 dido

dido

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 09:01 PM

When I was in college about 5 years ago I took classes (with the 12 year olds :( ) at the school of Annapolis Ballet Theater (as my mind persists in remembering it). The only performance I ever saw was Mr Stewart's Dracula, and I don't really remember the show. I remember my two teacher's first names (with Ms attatched).
Mostly I remember what an excellent grounding I got there (as subsequent teachers have confirmed) and how much care they took over an oversized beginner with no ballet prospects. I have nothing but good memories attatched to the name.
Probably not what you're looking for, but it's what I got! :)

#4 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 07:53 AM

I saw BTM for the first time recently. It is a very, very tiny company that performs in a converted middle school. Not the greatest dancers in the world, but there are some talented people, I am happy to support just about any ballet company in Maryland--we don't have enough!

#5 kiki

kiki

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 05:25 PM

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know if the new director plans to expand the company at all??

#6 Ed McPherson

Ed McPherson

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 05:34 PM

I saw a posting this summer looking for apprentices and better, starting at $350 a week. So I assume they aren't downsizing....

#7 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 05:43 PM

There was a news report on our Links forum (thanks to Ari) about 4 to 6 weeks ago saying that the company had hired several dancers. I don't know if that was expansion or replacement. You might go to www.google.com and do a search and see if you turn up any news articles!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):