Alexei Ratmansky is a new artistic director of the Bolshoi Ballet

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Mikhail

Mikhail

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 12:30 AM

Daron, la perfection n’est pas de ce monde. There are no doubts you are completely right in what concerns Fadeyechev. He was the best of four last artistic directors, and the officials will not allow him to be back. Not only because of the personal reasons: there is a long tradition in Russia and the USSR – who is fired is fired forever (some exceptions happened only during the “perestroika”).

I would agree with Roma in many parts of her post. But I am not afraid that Ratmansky will occupy the Bolshoi stage with his ballets. The main question is what he is going to do with the classical grand ballets and the works by Balanchine? I am sure this is the only way to let artists to dance more than once a month. I think also that one of the first problems to be solved is to bring back the normal Swan Lake and the Sleeping Beauty – I found that Grigorovitch’s versions of these ballets are awful. This is a completely personal point of view, of course. It could be SL by Gorsky-Messerer (the traditional Moscow version) and SB by K.Sergeev (as Mariinsky prefers Vikharev’s one).

#17 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 01:15 AM

I think we should at least give the guy a chance to prove himself. Although I, too, have my doubts about his gifts as a choreographer (his best moments seem to be small-scaled, in other words fitting awkwardly within the Bolshoi frame), that doesn’t say anything about his possible merits as a leader of a company (be it a hornet’s nest like the Bolshoi), nor what his artistic vision and influence will be. And as Mikhail mentions, nobody is perfect. We all admire Alexei Fadeyechev, especially for his profoundly human approach, while the company was undergoing a splendid transformation. Yet it was also under his tenure that the glories of Eifman were brought to the Bolshoi, while he was flirting with choreographers like Stanton Welch and, yes, Ratmansky. There is always a way.
Let's wait and see.

#18 Daron

Daron

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 07:09 PM

Marc, Mr. Eifman with his glories was brought to the Bolshoi by Mr. A. Vassiliev. A. Fadeyechev had nothing to do with it.
S. Welch and A. Ratmansky are young and quite promising choreographers, and, as we all know, there are not that much of them.
We all give him a chance, sure.
Who will give three and half years back to the dancers, if/when Mr. Ratmansky fails as an artistic director?

#19 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 11:37 PM

Originally posted by Daron
Mr. Eifman with his glories was brought to the Bolshoi by Mr. A. Vassiliev. A. Fadeyechev had nothing to do with it.

Yes, of course, they only performed it while Fadeyechev was artistic director. One of the many "artistic differences" between the general AD of the Bolshoi Theatre and the AD of the ballet company, I suppose? And how many ballets will they bring in with which Ratmansky has nothing to do? As for the dancers, I'm afraid they have been losing a lot more more than that already.

#20 Olivier

Olivier

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 07:42 AM

I just want to chime in quickly and shortly in defense of Alexei...
I am so excited for him.

He loves Russia, and he has tremendous respect and affection for classical ballet and dancers.
His passion has no limits and I know that he values artistry before tricks.
His choreography I believe is fantastic, full of humour and unexpected.
He is a wonderful generous human being, and that is what is the most important for a Director I believe !
Good luck Alexei...

#21 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 07:51 AM

Thank you for that, Olivier. I know several people in Denmark who share that opinion (Ratmansky has danced with the RDB for several years, and choreographed for them as well).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):