• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#121 balletstar811

balletstar811

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 12:27 PM

Mr. Johnson~

I know that the movie needed a youthful and good-looking Frodo (those eyes! ;) ), however when I was reading, I came to realize that in the books Frodo is much older on his journey than in the movie, is he not? In the very beginning when he was still in the Shire, I believe they mentioned him being what, 33 in hobbit years whch is their "coming of age" so like our 18? But then later on they keep saying "old Frodo" and such. Hmmm

#122 BattementCloche

BattementCloche

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 03:26 PM

No, I've never seen the extended version, though I REALLY want to! We don't have a DVD player, so we can't get it... They should have a two-tape version on VHS!

My best friend's name is Itarildë as well! Has anyone figured out their Hobbit names? My friend's (The same one) name is Berylla Bleecker-Baggins of Fair Downs! Mine is Orangeblossom Rosy-Posy Burrows Chubb. Or, if I put my first and middle name at the same time, it's Bramblerose Chubb (hobbit) or Eámanë Melwasúl (Elven).

As for Frodo's age, he was 33 at Bilbo's birthday - if you remember, he was 33 and Bilbo 111 and together they made 144, or one gross, and the number of party guests were 144. But, the farewell feast was in 3001 (1401 by Shire Reckoning) and Frodo didn't set out from Bag End until 3018 (1418 by Shire Reckoning) so he was actually 50 :eek: when he left Bag End!!!

—————————

***This is madness! ***
—Boromir—
***Indeed it is. ***
—Gimli—
***Alas for us all! And for all that walk the world in these after-days. ***
—Legolas—

#123 balletstar811

balletstar811

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 03:36 PM

Ya, I knew he was old!

#124 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 04:15 PM

Right, but because of the "preserving" or "stretching" effect of the Ring, Frodo didn't age very much at all between The Party and his departure for Bree. Or thereafter, until the Ring's effects are destroyed. (I'm saying it that way to keep from being a TOTAL spoiler for the people who haven't read it all!)

#125 balletstar811

balletstar811

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 05:11 PM

Good thinking :)

#126 SpiritIvy

SpiritIvy

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 05:33 PM

BattementCloche, they have the extended on VHS, as well, it just doesn't come iwth the documentaries at the end. The extended DVD has two extra disks of documentaries with it, which is not included with the extended VHS, but the extended VHS has all the extra scenes and added on stuff just like the DVD version does. They have the VHS version at Blockbuster. I never had the chance to rent it from Blockbuster because they were always out but it DOES exist on VHS.

#127 Guest_dance4life87_*

Guest_dance4life87_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 08 April 2003 - 06:55 PM

OMG I LOVE the extended dvd version, it's reawlly worth getting! it has 5 and a half hours of appendices too! It;s great, anyone who doesn't have it I definitely recommend it to!

#128 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 07:56 PM

In a way, I wish that the first Harry Potter film had been made one year earlier, so that they could have featured Daniel Radcliffe and Rupert Grint at the Party as the younger Merry and Pippin. After all, same studio! That would have shown the passage of seventeen years very neatly.

#129 Guest_dance4life87_*

Guest_dance4life87_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 08 April 2003 - 09:46 PM

Merry and Pippin werent in Harry Potter... I think you are confusing two different movies??

#130 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 02:49 AM

What I meant was that it was too bad that "Harry" and "Ron" weren't aleady established as an acting team by the time of FotR so that the they could be used as a casting joke, but the idea that 17 years had passed was only quickly glossed over. After all, Hobbits age only a little more slowly than human beings, and indeed, they may be a sort of Mannish creature. Remember, Pippin is the baby of the group, being only twenty-nine during the Great Year. If he and Merry were at the Party, they should have been portrayed by young actors, maybe not quite twelve, to show the passage of time more clearly - then when Frodo's Quest begins, they become Dominic Monaghan and Billy Boyd.

#131 BlackbirdBallerina

BlackbirdBallerina

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 04:39 AM

Whoa, we move fast here, don't we!

--SpiritIvy, what does Itarilde mean, do you know? Mr. Mel has a cool point about Harry/Merry!

#132 SpiritIvy

SpiritIvy

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 08:16 AM

BlackbirdBallerina, I have no idea what "Itarilde" means. "tar" and "tari" usually refers to royalty, though I can't honestly remember it's exact meaning or if it's from Quenya or Sindarin. She just got her name from www.barrowdowns.com, if I remember correctly. barrowdowns.com is a really awesome site, but it's name generator just gives you a random name because they really can't sit and translate actual meanings of names all day long.

So basically, no. lol

#133 BattementCloche

BattementCloche

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 10:19 AM

ita means sparkle, and ril means brilliance. Here is an exerpt from the Appendix of the Silmarillion:
ril: 'brilliance' in Idril,...Idril's name in Quenya form was Itarillë (or Itarildë), from a stem ita- meaning 'sparkle'.
Exerpt from the Index of The Silmarillion:
Idril: Called Celebrindal 'Silverfoot'; the daughter (and only child) of Turgon and Elenwë; wife of Tuor, mother of Eärendil, with whom she escaped from Gondolin to the Mouths of Sirion; departed thence with Tuor into the West.

I figured out some of this thread's 'frequent vistor's' user names:
Major Mel (Mel Johnson): Amras of Dorthonion or Berilac Brandybuck of Buckland
BilboBaggins: Maglor Calafalas or Bilbo Baggins :)
SpiritIvy: Eldárwen or Iris
balletstar811: Siralindë (balletstareighthundredeleven)/Failariël (balletstar) or Mira/Rosie
dance4life87: Alatariel (danceforlifeeightyseven)/Lessien (danceforlife) or Camellia/Iris
BlackbirdBallerina: Eámanë or Bramblerose (me too:D)
Of course, for your full names you'll have to go to the site yourself.

If anyone wants to know what their Elvish names mean, just tell me what they are and I'll figure them out. I love to!!! It's my hobby!!!:D

Namárië!

——————————

—Séreméla Lúthien Sáralondë Melwasúl—

***I pass the test. I will diminish, and go into the West, and remain Galadriel.” ***
—Lady Galadriel—
***Now is the time. ***
—Lord Celeborn—
***Good night my friends! Sleep in peace! ***
—Lady Galadriel—
***Can you protect me from yourself?***
—Frodo—

P.S. Spirit Ivy, I'll look into that extended version on VHS!!! Can't wait!!!

#134 SpiritIvy

SpiritIvy

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 10:44 AM

Thanks, BattementCloche, I like my name :) I really need to go read all the other Tolkien books.

So I guess I was quite a bit off on my translation, lol.

#135 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 02:06 PM

Actually, all that being said, I found that a good way to translate names into whatever Tolkienian languages is to take your own name, then translate it back into its root meaning - my name "Melvin" is a masculinized version of "Malvina", the female Celtic Chieftain of James MacPherson's eighteenth-century pastiche epic called "Ossian". He apparently made the name up out of Celtic mæl-hwinne - "soft snow lady". Translated that way, I came up with Lossehir "fallen snow lord" for myself.

HOWEVER. We've now got 134 posts on this thread, and it is safe to assume that there are a great number of Tolkienians about, and a goodly number of them populate this board. So, reluctantly, I think the time has come to draw the curtain on this topic - until Dec. 17, of course!;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):