This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Ballet Florida2005-06 Season

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 07:48 PM

Ballet Florida (based in West Palm Beach, FL) has announced its 2005-06 schedule.
As in previous years, there's a full-length (R and J) plus several programs of shorter, contemporary ballets, the Nutcracker, and the dancers' own choreographic workshop performances.

* = company premiere
** = world premiere

Eissey Theater (I) -- November 4-6, 2005
-- Bartok Concerto (Ben Stevenson)
-- After Dark, double pas de deux (Mauricio Wainrot)
-- The Envelope (David Parsons)
-- Gemini (Vicente Nebrada)
-- Super Straight is Coming Down (Daniel Ezralow)

Kravis Center -- December 23-28, 2005
-- Marie Hale's The Nutcracker

Kravis Center (I) -- February 3-4, 2006
-- * Rite of Spring (Mauricio Wainrot)
-- * Bella (Dominic Walsh)
-- ** Five Poems (Ben Stevenson)

Kravis Center (II) -- March 17-18, 2006
-- Romeo and Juliet (Vicente Nebrada)

Eissey Theater (II) -- May 6-8, 2006
-- * I Remember Clifford (Twyla Tharp)
-- Bakers Dozen (Tharp)
-- ...Smile with my Heart (Lar Lubovitch)
-- Second Before the Ground (Trey McIntyre)

Eissey Theater -- June 23-24, 2006
--Step Ahead (Ballet Florida's Choreographic Workshop)

After having had serious financial and administrative problems last year, as well as surviving 2 hurricanes which damaged their headquarters, the company seems to be reorganizing, with a new Executive Director and a million-dollar grant from two benefactors.

Ballet Florida describes itself as a Classical and Contemporary Dance Company. The training and classes are ballet-based, but the reperatory is primary cross-over or modern. Attempts to do classical works -- Balanchine, Le Corsaire, and even Sean Lavery -- don't always fare too well. On the other hand, the late Vicente Nebrada's ballet-lite choreography works pretty effectively for a company attempting the large-scale Romeo and Juliet. The company's special relationship with Ben Stevenson (who helped them set his Dracula last year and has a few ballets in each season) continues. The Envelope is a repeat from last season, when it was done without the bite, speed or crispness of previous years. They've done a lot better with this work before. It's a crowd-pleaser, as are the Tharps and the Trey McIntire.

At their best, this is a winning and energetic company which does interesting work and makes it look like fun. Their Step Ahead program -- 10 or more dances choreographed by members of the company -- is always exciting. The only personnel change reported so far is the retirement of the elegant and versatile dancer, Christina Hampton. She'll be missed, and I hope they seek to fill her toe shoes with someone with a similarly strong classical gift.

Edited by bart, 06 April 2005 - 07:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):