Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pamela Moberg

Niels Björn Larsen

2 posts in this topic

With great sadness I noted that Niels Björn Larsen has passed away. A true gentleman, a Danish ballet legend.

Many years ago I spent a few enjoyable hours talking to him on a flight Copenhagen-London. What we talked about the whole time? Ballet, of course.

Yes, Pamela. I put up a brief note in the Royal Danish Ballet forum. There's a link to Mary Clarke's obituary of Larsen there (and on Links, too, the day it appeared, I think) as well.

I had the opportunity to interview Larsen several times, as well as watch him stage "Far From Denmark" (completely the "watch me and do as I do" method). I remember getting a chill the first time I talked to him. We were standing in the old rehearsal room, the one that Bournonville had used, and I realized that this man had been there when Fokine worked at that opera house! So he was very much a link with the past. He had been ill for several years, though, having suffered a stroke in the mid-1990s.

I'm going to move this thread over to the RDB forum so that we don't have two conversations going on.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0