This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Artistry vs Technical virtuosity

silvy

Yesterday I was watching a video of Bolshoi Ballet's La Bayadere and I was awed by Maria Bilova's rendering of Gamzatti and I started doing something which is not very kind: compare her with other Gamzattis I have seen on video (Darcey Bussel, Tatiana Terekova and Elisabeth Platel). Granted, Bilova's arms or maybe too "outward showy" Bolshoi style is not the one I prefer best, but, of all Gamzattis, she is the only one that I feel acts the role as it shud be: a true princess, with the grandeur of a princess, ASIDE from her technical virtuosity, which is truly spectacular.

I see the portrayal of both Terekova and Bussel as too concentrated on the technical part (ALSO VERY SPECTACULAR), but not entirely conveying the regal grandeur I feel the role shud have. Platel acts her princess as very feminine and refined, but I feel she lacks the power conveyed by the others.

I thought of posting this as a topic for discussion, to compare my views with other viewers.

silvy

For me, the most exciting part of the Gamzatti role is the confrontation scene, which is often done with Gamzatti in character shoes. (Which I like, as it makes her seem like a real person, not a ballet dancer looking for 5th position.) If that isn't done well and strongly, then she can turn like a windmill in her variation, but it doesn't create a character. I have seen Gamzatti done a lot of different ways, from Scarlett O'Hara to Gidgit with an attitude, and if the dancer concentrates on making the mime clear and forceful, they have worked. I haven't seen Bussell or Platel (a dancer I loved) in Gamzatti, but my first impression would be that they are too sweet and refined to be convincing.

Yes, Cargill, I see your point in that the mime shud be convincing. That is what I find missing in Bussel and Platel. And of course, they are too sweet, as you have guessed. Also the character shoes does add to the character as you say (the way that is danced by the Kirov's Terekova- nevertheless, I found her lacking in force somehow)

I find Gamzatti a wonderful role,and one that I wud love to develop if I ever had the chance...

silvy

Grace: the video I am talking about is of year 1991, and features Nadezhda Gracheva as Nikia and Bylova as Gamzatti. On reading Bylova's biography, I realize that she must have been around 36/37 years of age at that time, and as such, I suppose she was at the height of her powers. I say this because her technical virtuosity is truly remarkable, but she is an accomplished artist as well.

Yesterday I looked at the video again, and I noticed very little nuances she inflicted to her role - even when both Nikia and Gamzatti are taking their bows (after the confrontation scene is over), is instructive to see how different both of them bow: Nikia is very classical, and modest, while Bylova is somehow distant, and very regal, like the princess she is.

silvy