This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The Nutcracker -- Is it a seasonal "must see"?

'Tis the season -- will you see the Nutcracker this year?

If so, which one and why?

The Boston Ballet does not include the Nutcracker in its subscription season, and I do not attend. One year I heard about a big bear being featured, sponsored by Filene's (and said bear was of course available at the department store). At that point, I decided it was commercial entertainment, and that I could miss it.

I will, however, see two different student productions. I do love it when the Nutcracker is an opportunity for students to really get out and dance for an audience.

I think Nutcracker for many people, especially families, has become a tradition.

I think most companies leave it off of subscriptions. For the very reason that it's a "first time" ballet for many, there's lots of kids in the audience and many subscribers would rather pay to see a program.

I only go once now, between hearing the music in Macy's and everything else going on in the holidays (and the ticket price) I live vicariously through the reviews here!

While there are many commercial tie ins, for most companies, it provides a hefty boost to their bottom line. Now, if NYCB's giant tree starts rolling out and has logos on it, I might protest, but so far, it hasn't happened, yet.

I have to see Nutcracker at least, well, four or five times. Or six. I never get enough of that tree. And the Snowflakes.

As far as cost, well, standing-room at NYCB for "off-peak" performances is $5, and "peak," $10, and if one is resourceful, one seldom has to stand, at least for the second act.

Oh, my, yes, I'll see it. Six or eight times! Opening night, closing matinee, when the in-laws are in town, one trip with daughter to see The Other Cast, and any other performances I feel like dropping in on (but only Act I). Thank goodness parents of the children's cast can get $10 rush tickets.

I'm really not a horrible ballet mom :) But if it's convenient to go, I do. By next year the kid will likely be too tall, so I'm relishing her moment on the big stage while I can. After this, we'll be down to one visit per year, and that for the kids' sake -- I've really had enough Nutcracker to last for quite a while!

Gosh, I just reread what I wrote. I do like to watch the rest of the ballet, too!

As I have not been blessed with issue, Nutcracker for me is not a must-see but a see-if-I-feel-like-it. (My feelings may be colored by the fact that my local Nutcracker is the Christensen and not the Balanchine.) There are some years when I feel that the score has been engraved on my eardrums and I just can't bring myself to fork over money to hear it again......

I usually see 2 or 3 (maybe more) professional Nutcrackers. I like to go to the productions of our local regional companies too, to see how the kids are coming along. So my total could be 5 or 6. I like to compare the different versions and I do like to take a friend along.

The last time I saw an "entire" Nutcracker was about 7 years ago! Having just recently left the Company I worked for, I will go see the whole thing this year - can't wait, really. My daughter has not seen it at all (with the exception of the bits and pieces she saw while waiting in the wings) since she was 5 - we've just gone out and purchased her a lovely "gown" to wear. So for us, for THIS season, it IS a "must see".

:)

This will be the eighth year of Nutcrakers for our family. It's become a wonderful tradition ever since my son first stepped on stage as a party boy. When I wasn't volunteering back stage I was working in the boutique where they allowed you to grab a free seat as long as you worked during the intermissions. I sold many a Nutckracker during those years! Happy Days, this is the first time we've gotten 4 free tickets because my son is a company member now! Don't have to worry if I'm sitting in someone's seat this year! For us it looks like it will be 4 performances plus 1 Nutty one! Certainly the best part of our holidays.