This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Drigos "Awakening of Flora" question

Perhaps you could make a CD of the music on a DVD. I am not sure if the Kirov is on DVD yet, but if so and there is no applause it should work, however if you do not pay ASCAP or BMI, I am afraid it may not be legal to use in performance. I could be wrong though.

Guest Kathleen

Thanks for your input - interestingly, Makarova's staging for the Royal Ballet on video (I think 1994-arranged by John Lanchbery) also includes this section. Tried Universal Ballet's website - in Korean! Still hoping someone can tell me the origins, but really appreciate your help!

Kathleen

As far as I know, no to both questions, unfortunately. Bournonville music isn't recorded generally. I know of: the third act of Napoli, all of Folk Tale, and all of La Sylphide; the Kermesse in Bruges pas de deux. But all of these are on records (!!!) and I bought them long ago.

Right now, there are no Bournonville ballets commercially available on video.

I have seen the opera and it is beautiful. In fact, I may be dancing in it next year. There is a recording of the ballet Onegin available straight from Stuttgart! Many selections of the music also come from Tchaikovsky's operas Mazeppa, Pique Dame (Queen of Spades) and also from his "tone poems," including but not limited to Francesca De Remini (spell?)

Guest music_therapist

:wink:

I am a music librarian for a community college in California and need information that is nearly unretreveable from what I can see on the internet.

I am looking for a specific part of Music for the ballet "Graduation Ball" by Strauss-Dorati

All the albums in the set were readable except one side of one of the albums due to water damage and fading.

The part I am looking for is "Part 3-Divertissement" and it is on album 11-9995 Side B, from RCA Victor records.

Without this information I am unable to put this set of music in our Library and also unable to complete my file system for our computers.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Music_Therapist :rolleyes:

The part I am looking for is "Part 3-Divertissement" and it is on album 11-9995 Side B, from RCA Victor records.

There is a third Divertissement in the ballet (out of six) and it is listed as "Dance Impromptu"---and I might add, Rosella Hightower performed it when I first saw the ballet......I can hear the music in my head---but cannot identify it.

Guest music_therapist

:) Thanks so much

Unfortunately that is one of the six parts I have :(

I believe it would be parts 4-6 :wink:

Part 3-Divertissement is of Five parts of the ballet and it specifically has those six parts

could you reply to this again with those final 3 parts of Divertissement?

TY!

music_therapist :D

The Divertissements are listed as follows:

l. The Drummer 2. PasDe Deux 3.Dance Impromptu 4.Competition

5. Tyrolian Boy 6. Perpetuum Mobile

These Divertissements are from the 1944 revival of Ballet Theatre, using the Dorati orchestrations.

The original version had the following Divertissements:

l. The Drummer 2. Giselle and the Scotsman 3. Impromptu Dance

4.Dance Step Competition 5. Mathematics and Natural History Lesson

6.Perpetuum Mobile.

The first performance was in 1940, using the Dorati orchestration.

#2 is listed as Giselle and the Scotsman, but should be La Sylphide and the Scotsman...to further add to the confusion---this and the pas de deux were danced to the same music---this is a quote from The Borzoi Book of Ballets, Grace Roberts:

"The high point of these (divertissements) was the oddly named Giselle and the Scotsman--more correctly La Sylphide and the Scotsman. This was an enchanting miniature tribute to one of the jewels of the romantic age of ballet-----its moonlit sentiment provided a striking and necessary contrast to the lively antics that preceded it.....

The substitution of a pas de deux of enormous technical difficulty, performed to brassy music for La Sylphide and the Scotsman, was unfortunate....it provided no contrast in mood to the rest of the action...."

It's hard to believe she is writing of the same piece of music.

I have just read your 'sledgehammer' review and I have hastily shied away from the recording. You mentioned an 'original' due to come out---has it? I also listened to a disc of Bayadere/Paquita by Boris Spassov (Capriccio 1996). It sounded good to my ears, but I am not a fan of the 'Paquita' music; I would have to see the dancing to subject myself to the score. What is your opinion of this disc?

Atm711, unfortunately, there is no recording of the original Minkus score of "La Bayadère" yet. The autograph score was recently discovered by the Mariinsky (and they use it in their new/old version), but so far no commercial recording exists and I haven’t heard of any plans in that direction.

As for the Spassov "Bayadère/Paquita" CD you mention, I find it preferable because he doesn’t use one of these fearful re-orchestrations. His text is much closer to the ones used by the Russian companies Mariinsky and Bolshoi, with a charming, but rather simple and straightforward orchestration. In spite of that this CD doesn’t really do it for me. The problem lies mainly with Spassov whose sluggish conducting makes the music sound extremely dull (especially the fragments from "La Bayadère") – which I don’t think it is. The music falls apart with lapses of tension in almost every section and I don’t think this CD does Minkus any favors. The digital recording isn’t much to write home about either – one of those typical brittle, metallic sounding things with very little definition and color. Considering the rarity of Minkus on disc, however, this CD could be a start to explore some of his most famous music, but a lot better can be done.

Thet is the way the music is supposed to be conducted! Ive danced the ballet myself many times and that is the way Minkus music is supposed to sound! the trick is to let the dancers fill in holes, but as far as the review goes, well, he conducts the music just right............does anyone know of a recording of the complete ballet that the Kirov recently did? WHAT ABOPUT SLEEPING BEAUTY TO!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Does anyone know, on the "ABT @ the met" video, in the Paquita Grand Pas, what variation does Susan Jaffe dance? its the 2nd one, and it is the most beuatiful peice of music! What old ballet does it come from? Anyone know?????

according to john and roberta lazzarini's PAVLOVA: REPERTOIRE OF A LEGEND: "On May 2, 1904, Pavlova made her debut in the title role of PAQUITA, with Fokine as Lucien. In the 'grand pas classique,' the 'harp variation.' which Drigo had composed especially Pavlova, was unfortunately flawed by a few imperfect pirouettes. Svetlov, however, thought that it had the 'gentle, gracious coloring of a tender, delicate drawing.' "

my admittedly inexpert ear suggests that the variation danced by jaffe is by drigo, but that's only a hunch and it's only a further hunch that if so, it just might be this one composed esp. for pavlova.

to be sure in the russian-language book published in moscow, 2000, there are 7 selections by drigo (of the 14 variations linked over the years to the PAQUITA GRAND PAS CLASSIQUE).

as i can't read music i'm not able to say if the one in the ABT PAQUITA is one of those documented in my book.

still my amateur ear says that jaffe's music sounds like drigo.