This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

"Billy Elliot"

Guest Nydancer86

Looks like I have to wait until it comes out on video!

------------------

It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer.

*~!~Rachel~!~*

You're probably in the same boat I am, Rachel. The local distributors around here (who actually choose what goes in the cineplexes, not the owner so much) have decided in their wisdom that a movie about a boy ballet dancer will not sell well in this market. The closest theater playing it is thirty miles away, and has it booked for three nights only - a Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday! Some way to sell tickets!

I seem to have the same problem over here, with centre stage. It was meant to come out weeks ago, but I've been checking the cinema listings and so far no showings. I don't know if the release has been put back or what ...

Then again, given the choice between Billy Elliot and Centre Stage, I'm glad I did get to see Billy. I have only seen one review for Centre Stage over here, and I guess British audiences just aren't as interested in what it's like to be in an american ballet school, because I don't know anyone but me who wants to go and see it!

The rating will be based upon the bad language (lots of swearing) and also because there are a couple of scenes with domestic violence in, although no blood and guts or anything like that. There are no scenes with nudity or sex in - I don't think theres even a single snog in the whole film! Of course sex is mentioned but in a very innocent way, as befits a story about an 11-year old. The other thing that might increase the rating are scenes involving a young boy who is coming to terms with his own homosexuality, again done in a very tasteful and fairly innocent way.

I wasn't shocked by any of the film ... but I'm 22 and I don't have kids, so I don't know whether a parent would view it differently. I would say that if your parents don't mind the swearing and are open-minded about homosexuality, there shouldn't be a problem. But I would be interested to know if anyone has a different opinion.

------------------

***The Beckster***

Guest TwInKLetoEs*

my parents saw it also, and they didn't really care. Normally they don't like me to see r movies, but w/ this one everyone said that it should have been rated pg-13. theres a lot of swearing, and a part where the dad and his son get in a fight, and there is also some fighting that you might expect, since it is sort of set in a rough mining town. thats all i'm going to say, because i don't want to spoil it for u!

jusse

Guest Nydancer86

I didn't know it was rated R! LOl from the name I thought it would be PG tongue.gif. I hope it doesn't have as much swearing as "Good will hunting"....that movie was just annoying with the cursing! Anyway, at least it is very realistic!

------------------

It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer.

*~!~Rachel~!~*