This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Not Raymonda but Swan Lake

Firstly I apologise if this was posted in an improper place. The question I am about to ask isn't fit to any of other forums, but this one is (presently?) meant for a discussion of Raymonda. Moderators, please, feel free to move this post to where it is most suited. :)

And my question goes as follows. After having seen Swan Lake last night, I noticed that Odile danced a tiny bit of the variation Odette and Siegfried danced in Act 2. So I was wondering - IF these characters were real people, how could Odile have known what Odette and Siegfried had said to each other? :confused:

Maybe it sounds like a stupid question, but if I remember correctly such "riddles" have been discusssed here before, so maybe it's not wrong to ask another such question.

Are there any references to this in literature? Is there any mentioning of this in the original myths that the plot is made of? What is your opinion of this? Any replies are welcome. :o

Hi, Nadezhda! Ms. Leigh is right. And the Black Swan "pas de deux" used to make this clear before it was "improved."

It was once a pas de trois, with Von Rothbart, under pretense of partnering Odile -- extending a hand for her to use as a "barre" for balance -- would whisper in her ear and coach her. She's been told beforehand, I'd imagine, that her mission is to convince Siegfried that she's Odette and so might well have been given a few pointers before the ball, too.

Thank you both for replies. (It is good to be back! I'm glad I have more time now so hopefully I will be able to visit the forum more!) I remember having seen a bit of what might be what Ms. Tomalonis described: Rothbart coaching Odile in a production of Royal Ballet on one of the Makarova's Ballerina shows. (Makarova was dancing the role herself.)