This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kultur... no other choices?

Maybe this belongs on another board, but this is a very broad question. When it comes to ballet recordings, Kultur seems to be the only manufacturer. Are there any other choices out there?

The reason I ask is that I know that ballet companies could probably use other sources of income to prosper, and I am wondering why they don't produce their own recordings. They have mailing lists it seems, and if ballet companies wanted too, they could share mailing lists with other ballet companies to put together larger lists... so why is it that the ballet companies are not producing and distributing their own recordings? They own the production and they have the mailing lists, why are they not putting the two together?

I also ask this question because I get the impression that recording things these days is a bit easier and less expensive than in the past. The technology is so advanced and inexpensive these days I would think that the ballet companies would be taking advantage of it by now.

Do you have any thought as to why ballet recordings seem to come from only one source? What's going on here? Do you have any ideas or thoughts on it? thanks

The problem is not so much one of production, but distribution. It is almost impossibly inefficient for a ballet company to produce, edit, copy, then sell their own videos. Advertising with a reach broad enough to reach a large group of likely consumers costs a fortune. Then someone has to collect the money, pack and ship the tapes, and keep track of the inventory. These are jobs out of the sphere of most dance groups.